Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67 Mustang 289/C4 no PS/AC

I bought a set of C7ZZz-5310-P coil springs and a pair of C5ZZ-5560-4ME leafs along with u-bolts, shackles and eye bolts.

The springs are 4.5 leaf 1" drop mid eyes and the coils are 1" drop GT springs.

Nearly eveyone says they have to cut the coils. Im doing the Shelby drop at the same time.

Do I whack a 1/4 off or do I install the coils as delivered and see where Im at?

I hate installing/uninstalling coil springs, although with the fenders off it isnt near as bad.

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also, how long is the alt bolt?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Just install the spring and not the shock. Roll the car back and forth a bit so it settles and then see if you know how far down you want it to drop. When you cut it try and see if you can figure out how far down you want it to go so you can measure instead of just lopping off a chunk. If you put the spring on a table and you want a 1 inch drop then put a ruler or tape measure to the highest point of the spring, rotate it until you are 1/2 inch lower and cut there. Basically with the ratio however much you cut from the spring will double the drop so too much and you are screwed. I personally never had a set of springs that I didn’t need to cut to get the ride height I was looking for.

Reactions: silverblueBP

·
Registered
35,502 Posts
You can always go back and remove 1/4 coil. You CAN'T stick it back on once cut....

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can always go back and remove 1/4 coil. You CAN'T stick it back on once cut....
I noticed that Summit sells .5, .75, 1 and 2" spacers. A bunch of guys must cut to much off.

·
Registered
9,721 Posts
I noticed that Summit sells .5, .75, 1 and 2" spacers. A bunch of guys must cut to much off.
No, some guys think a Mustang looks awesome jacked in the air like a stadium truck

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
While at Summit I gawked at the wheel wall.

The AR VN501 - Aluminum Magnum 500 in 15x7 with 4" BS is a sharp looking wheel. 215/70/15 Cooper Cobras would look fantastic on my 67.

The Vision 141 Legend 5 is also a good looking wheel, almost as nice as the TTD.

The TTD is a winner too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts