Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We not only did the fuel tank swap and mods on Chuck's F-250 today, we did mine, too! That's two 150-pound 46-gallon tanks, two fuel line mods, two in-tank mods, and a fuel filler neck mod for his truck (2002s don't need that one).

The good news? My truck's average mpg has increased by about 3-4 mpg.

The bad news? I can't lift my arms, my back is sore, and am I tired! But....I'm smiling! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
680 Posts
Sounds like you had a productive day....Good for you. Now, go draw you a tub full of hot water, add bubble bath, and at least 1 bottle of wine to celebrate....

G

·
0 Posts
O_K, How in the heck did you get MPG improvement from changing fuel tanks? am I missing something here?

JB

·
Registered
771 Posts
Sounds Good! Good thing u got urs doen and his done and will eb saving gas money now, but everything comes in a price go and take a nice warm bath! ( or maybe give murphy a bath) *g*

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
you do look a little tired..*wipes your nose*..sorry you had a little grease spot on it..*LOL*

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We already had the celebratory bottle of beer after coming back from filling up my tank. Oh boy, did it taste good!

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not the fuel tanks, it's the modifications we did to the in-tank fuel pick-up and a pre-fuel pump modification. In the tank, the mixing bowl for the diesel fuel is deleted and the pre-pump involves removing a quick disconnect clamp and rerouting a hose. Both mods remove air from the line, which increases mpg, performance, and saves the injectors in the end. (I've been hanging out on the Diesel Forum, learning a lot about my new truck.)

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm, just one of many! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

G

·
0 Posts
O-K, you are speaking of fuel oil burners. I was hoping you were talking about gas. 3 MPG would equate to a 30% increase in my fuel consumption. I was getting excited. My P.U. is a 6!

JB

·
Registered
532 Posts
[color:red]Both mods remove air from the line, which increases mpg, performance, and saves the injectors in the end. </font color=red>

Now why would they set it up like that in the first place? Is there any benafit to the factury set up?

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's one of the biggest questions/gripes on the Diesel Forum. Ford won't acknowledge the design problem.

·
Administrator
19,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
At least the 100,000 mile warranty covers the engine--but not the aggravation! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
532 Posts
Ya, some times the OEM's are a little slow to change. I work fow a VW dealer, and I see the same falts show up year, after year. Oh well, keeps me busy.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts