Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I blew out my rear axle and it looks like i will need a whole new third memeber, I pulle dit out and and everything had a crack in it, one bearing cap broke, the ring gear broke broke the flange off the diff and all that good stuff,
Wanted Detroit locker, if you have one I need one
Funny thing is htat I had to drive it a 1/4 mile to park it and it shure made alot of noise!!

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
I had a rearend go out on me once. Going down the road about 35 & boom! Rearend locked down tight. Lucky I was right next to a Iron Foundry & I knew the Hyster driver. He drove his Hyster right onto the road, picked up the car at the rearend & carried it to the parking lot.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I'm doing a common brake job...noted the left rear axle seal is blown. Shouldn't be a problem, right? Out come the axles and a bearing check indicates the bearings should be replaced...what's this? I notice a pit below the bearing. After pressing the bearing off I realize a previous owner decided to torch off the previous set of bearings and in so doing blew a big hole in the axle...duh! I get this vision of driving down the road and having a rear wheel depart the car as my fb sinks to the pavement. My buddie says, "It's held up this far, why worry about it?" Suspecting the worst, I checked the right axle and it's damage is worse, the axle shaft is nearly cut in two. Hmm...330hp and half cut off axles...formula for disaster! Yes, I replaced the axles and did the rear chunk as well. Don't you want to kill previous owners sometime? After all, he tried to kill me! Note: previous owner was female, her former husband did the mechanical work on the car! I wonder if the work was intentional?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts