Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, good to be back on the forum. Tonight I finally got my brakes bled with new system installed. I have a 67 master cylinder (which came with a retainer on the push rod, but the push rod length was the same, net, as the 65 master cylinder - a direct bolt up)with stainless steel lines, stainless steel braided flex hoses, all new drums *cyrogenically frozen in liquid nitrogen for 24 hours), wheel cylinders, hubs, studs, shoes (kevlar linings), and hardware. Even buffed up the brass dist. block under the hood. I was real excited and thinking I was going to drive the car. WRONG.

When pumping the brakes, I discovered that the prior owner, who pulled the clutch linkage/trans and installed a C4, boogered up the pedal support bushing, to the point that about 1/4 of the bushing is missing. The bushing rotated in the support and now the shaft is offcenter, wobbles, and causes the brake pedal to grab during the stroke of the pedal. grrrr. Also, all of the plastic bushings/washers are missing from where the m/c rod connects to the pedal. Looks like I'll have to pay $45 for a shaft rebuild kit just to get the bushing.

The PO sure messed this one up. Funny, but the place I bought the car from put all new brake shoes on, but broke one of the bleed valves partially off the rear driver's side. Fluid went everywhere, ruined the shoes, filled the drum, coated the inside of the wheel, and they had the nerve to say nothing was wrong with the brakes, since they were new, and it was all my imagination. ha.

Next project is the pedal support. Looks like I have to keep the 70 for a daily driver just a little longer! Oh, the sacrifice!

·
Registered
912 Posts
They do some crazy things don't they. I won't go into the number of funny things I have found on my car since I got it, the list would be a long one. Thankfully I am replacing the drivetrain, that will fix some of them.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
The PO of my vert had built a clutch push rod out of a deep well 3/8 socket, a short but crushed chunk of copper tubing and a carriage bolt jammed into the end. Adjusted by hammer I guess...

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Ken, if you need the pedal support, I have one in my garage. You can have it, but it would have to be sandblasted before it would go into one of my cars /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. I beleive I also have a 3/4 speed brake pedal and clutch pedal out there as well, if you need them. Somewhere, I even have a 3/4 speed brake pedal pad (rubber pad that goes on the pedal), never been taken out of the package (I ordered the wrong one from NPD and never returned it). You can have any of them that you want/need ... just come over and get them.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey John, I'll take you up on that. I'll call you later tonight. I went to Sacramento mustang and they did not have the rebuild kit for the bushings - out of stock. They had the plastic bushing for the brake light switch, but tried to charge me $15.95 for it! Once they figured it it was a computer programing error, they billed the correct price of $1.95! Since I am thinking about putting the car back to original, the 3 speed setup would be the way to go. I can use the clutch pedal as a foot rest until I change over the C4. haha. I'll bring over a very cool graphic from graphic express that would look awesome on your stang (66). Can't have it cause it's not a spare (smile), but I'll bring it over and we can hold it up to your car and take a look at it. I have a spare decal for the oil filler cap, if you need it. I'll bring it over. Thanks for your kindness (once again).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts