Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
The hardest part to me was cutting the hose. I taped it and used wire strippers with a big cutting end, then I hit it with a hammer. I got very good cuts this way. The second hardest thing is getting the hose started in the outer part of the fitting. I built a fuel line for my Torino in my garage using the tools mentioned, a pair of vise grips, and a crescent wrench. The only thing I would have done different is used a vise, it would have been easier. A little tip if you don't want to buy the aluminum wrenches or the soft jaws for the vise. I took a pair of leather gloves and cut them to make a wrap for the fitting when using the wrenches. I only made a couple of very small marks on the fittings. Also use plenty of anti galling compound. Overall I thought it was pretty easy, just take your time.
Oh yeah, the Aeroquip catalog has a good tech section on how to put them together. My only other peice of advice is try to stay away from fittings other than straight or 90's. I had to buy a 30 deg fitting for the Torino and it was like $20, just for the fitting.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Here's the three most important tips:

1) Use a dremel tool with a stone type cutting wheel to cut the hose. Just put tape around where you need to cut the hose and mark the tape. Then use the dremel to cut along the mark. The dremel will not fray the line.
2) Use lots of lube when putting the fitting on the end of the hose.
3) Use LOTS of lube when putting the fitting on the end of the hose.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts