Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, the engine is getting ready to come out of the fastback (should have already been out but the car is outside and old man winter has slammed my mountain area with tons of snow!). Anyways, I was considering options for the fuel lines and the brake lines. I was seriously considering getting braided stainless steel hoses instead of the stainless steel pre-bent lines that most mustang vendors offer. What do you guys think? Have any of you guys done this? If I did go with the braided hose, what size should I run for the fuel and brakes? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
315 Posts
For the fuel lines -6an should do you just fine, it's about 3/8". Braided line from the tank to the engine might be a little expensive though. I'm running 3/8" tubing from tank to front fender, then -6an braided the rest of the way. The brake lines should be all tubing except for the flex hose, which you can buy already to go made with braided stainless. The braided flex hose is supposed to be better than regular flex hose because it doesn't expand as much do to the braking pressure.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
IMO, if the car is street-driven, my advice would be to leave everything as much OEM (looking) as possible. If you want larger fuel line than 5/16", run 3/8" or 1/2" x .032" wall tubing (depending on pump type/engine fuel consumption). Same with brakes. If you do decide to run SS hose for brakes, be sure to use the proper PTFE-core hose and fittings, generally of 3/16" ID. It is designed to handle brake fluids, pressures, and attendant temperatures. Be sure, when using Buna-N SS hose for fuel, to adequately shield it from heat, as it is more vulnerable than steel/aluminum in such situations.

I completely plumbed my race car a few decades ago and learned a lot from experience over the years on it and other vehicles I worked on. Hence my advice ;)

Some examples:

http://mackrafab.com/PIC00002001.JPG

Note the fuel hose at the back of the valve cover. It's Buna-N SS hose and is completely covered with insulative firesleeve from the pressure regualator all the way to the bulkhead fitting on the frame rail where it meets the aluminum main fuel line.

http://mackrafab.com/PIC00006001.JPG

If you look carefully immediately to the left of the strut spring, you'll see a PTFE brake hose meeting a bulkhead fitting where it mates to a stainless steel tube eminating from the master cylinder. It essentially mimics a stock brake line arrangement. It's very important to have everything arranged for the proper geometry and travel movment to match the wheel/suspension assembly, which, on this vehicle, is obviously different than OEM. BTW, although not easily seen in the first picture, there is a heat shield on the passenger side which protects both the brake line and puke tank. Also, as the transmission cooler lines run along the frame rail on this side, they are also protected in firesleeve. This is usually not necessary on a street vehicle, but these headers run red hot under racing conditions and can boil brake fluid and ATF in close proximity.

Hope that helps!

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
I used -6 on mine. Here's a tip for you too.....dont use a hacksaw to cut your braided line. It will just fray the ends. Use a small cut-off wheel and a Dremel tool.

As far as brake lines, just buy em pre-made.

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/196000-196999/196945_235_full.jpg

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Stick with the stock prebent lines for the brakes. Put them in while the engine is out (trust me on this one!) For the flex lines, get the 65/66 braided kit. Works fine on a 67/68.

For fuel I got a kit from Summit. Ran solid tube straight up the tunnel next to the brake lines and came out behind the engine (electric fuel pump by the tank so I don't have to go to the front of the engine.) Mounted the regulator and pressure gauge to the firewall and went flex line to the back of the carb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts