Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PO converted front brakes to discs. I discovered that the dual master cylinder was leaking into the booster. I ordered new booster and master for a 70 from the local parts store but the booster will not fit with the new master. How do I identify the booster so that I can replace it??? Ever buy a booster from ABS in Calif.?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I'm lucky i got an NOS booster in case mine fails, but i know that most places that sells or rebuilds them will ask for your core. So if you have an original one, make sure you get it back cuz they are getting very hard to come by...They don't make them like the originals anymore, sizewise they are smaller, or like what happened to you, the MC won'T fit...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The new master fits with the old booster but the booster is bad. Any ideas?????????????

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Send your old booster in and have it rebuilt.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you know who rebuilds these?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
In what manner does the booster not fit? IS space lacking in the engine compartment? Is it that the rod out the back will not line up with the connection point on the brake pedal? If you were sold a booster made for applications other than a 70, it will not connect with the brake pedal correctly. Is the rod out the back straight (1970) or curved own (1969)? Need more details as to the description of your problem.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
This is the link to one of the well known cie for booster rebuilding .
Booster Dewey

·
Registered
395 Posts
Just got mine "Midland" booster back from Booster Dewey this past Saturday. Man what a nice job. $124 plus $14 shipping.
Make sure that you include with the booster, the booster spacer and rod, so he can test the booster after it is rebuilt.
I would recommend him in a heart beat.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Thanks for the link. I just added Booster Dewey to my favorites. Last summer
I got a bug it would nice to have a spare booster. The Midland was the original.
Bendix is listed as the alternate.
Ordered a Midland rebuilt figuring I'd keep my original (core) on the car, it works fine.
Package arrived...it was a Bendix. Returned it, the next one was also Bendix!
Returned it! Finally I was told rebuilders have no more Midland cores to rebuild
so when a Midland is ordered they often substitute a Bendix!
Evidently Ford guys are keeping their Midland cores knowing they're hard to find!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi guys. The problem is that the booster I purchased locally will not bolt up to the firewall. This one is of the Bendix style.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
They modify the Bendix type so it will bolt on. If you have your original
Midland get it rebuilt!

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I have read where, with some of the rebuilds, one of the factory threaded bosses welded to the firewall has to be drilled out and a washer and nut used. Would this be your problem? Otherwise, it seems you were sold an incorrect unit.

good luck.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Have you succesfully obtained a correct Midland lately?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello Everyone. Many thanks for all of your help. :thumbup: I was able to track the booster conversion to a company called ABS Powerboost, in So. Cal. They supplied the booster conversion to NPD. The booster the PO installed has 4 bolts into a mounting bracket and 2 bolts into the firewall. This is why the booster I ordered from the local parts store would not work. It appears that the PO installed the booster conversion and used the old master. It failed, and I got about a quart of brake fluid into the booster. Who knows how long it was leaking into there!!! I think I will order a new booster and dual master through them. Any better ideas? Thanks again!!!!!! ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts