Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was going to stay manual brakes but since my engine is out and I am adding borgeson steering I've decided to go with power brakes. Up front I have Wilwood discs and on the rear I have 2003 Cobra disc brakes mounted to Mustang Steve brackets. I also have a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. I'm looking to get a booster with either a stock type master cylinder or a Wilwood master cylinder, not sure which route to go. I'm not really looking forward to having to bend and flare brake lines to fit but I guess i'll be good at it when it's all said and done. Car is an automatic. Any recommendations? Thanks

·
Registered
503 Posts
I'd check out Leed Brakes. I converted my Dart from manual to power with their kit (Borgeson box as well) and am pleased. Dropped right in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I was going to stay manual brakes but since my engine is out and I am adding borgeson steering I've decided to go with power brakes. Up front I have Wilwood discs and on the rear I have 2003 Cobra disc brakes mounted to Mustang Steve brackets. I also have a Wilwood adjustable proportioning valve. I'm looking to get a booster with either a stock type master cylinder or a Wilwood master cylinder, not sure which route to go. I'm not really looking forward to having to bend and flare brake lines to fit but I guess i'll be good at it when it's all said and done. Car is an automatic. Any recommendations? Thanks
Whatever way you go, contact Classic Tube. They will make a set of brake lines to fit exactly what you have. Just let them know what master cylinder and disc setup you have chosen, and like magic it comes in the mail ready to bolt up.

·
Registered
182 Posts
You will avoid a lot of potential problems if you get a master cylinder/booster combo kit from one manufacturer. Since you already have some Wilwood, and I really like their products, I'd go that route, although as you probably already know, they are pricey. You may have to contact them to be sure you get the right ones for your car. I can't tell what year car you have, but if a '65 or'66, there is very little room between the firewall and shock tower.

I wouldn't worry about having to make your on brake lines. Use copper-nickel line, and this tool will give you professional flares every time:

Eastwood On Car Brake Line Flaring Tool for 3/16 Tubing

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought about going with a Wilwood master cylinder, I wonder what brake booster they use? My car is a 67, are there any boosters on the market that fit better? Part of me want's to just get a factory booster/mc combo for ease of parts procurement down the road. Is 3/16 the size of all the brake lines? I appreciate the link to the on car flaring tool. I have a couple of good flaring tools, but with limited space I think the on car would work better.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I thought about going with a Wilwood master cylinder, I wonder what brake booster they use? My car is a 67, are there any boosters on the market that fit better? Part of me want's to just get a factory booster/mc combo for ease of parts procurement down the road. Is 3/16 the size of all the brake lines? I appreciate the link to the on car flaring tool. I have a couple of good flaring tools, but with limited space I think the on car would work better.
Since you have an automatic, I’d go with this 9 Power Booster | Power Brake Booster Replacement and keep your master cylinder. This booster doesn’t push the m/c so far out that it interferes with the shock tower.

Dont forget to switch to a power brake pedal as well.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Since you have an automatic, I’d go with this 9 Power Booster | Power Brake Booster Replacement and keep your master cylinder. This booster doesn’t push the m/c so far out that it interferes with the shock tower.

Dont forget to switch to a power brake pedal as well.

Sent from the interwebs... where else?
My old master cylinder is probably no good, it's been sitting since 2007. I would need a master cylinder and a brake pedal. They have this unit, with the adjustable proportioning valve installed for $395. Looks like all I'd have to do is hook up the front and rear brake lines.

I might go this route, I'm just concerned about down the road if I need parts. The likelihood of the booster going out a couple of times during my lifetime is a very good possibility.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I reached out to Leeds tech support to ask a couple of questions about their booster/pedal/proportioning valve combo. It's been 2 days and no response. I'm ready to buy if they can answer my questions.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Leed tech support is non responsive. I've been waiting for 10 days and they won't answer my questions. During that time I think I have decided to go manual brakes and see how I like them. If I don't like them I will add power brakes at a later date.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts