Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys i am installing a new carb and it has the port in the back for a brake line booster and on in the front for the pvc hose.
I currently have been running the pvc line off the rear port on my old carb and the vacuum line from the power brake booster goes to a fitting a larke fitting on the cavuum "Tree" that is threaded into the intake manifold.

My questions are .
1)is this a good source for my booster vacuum or should i use the port in the back of the carb as described in the instrutional dvd.
2)If i can continue to use the vaccuum from the tree to the booster could i use the port in the rear designated for the booster ,for the pcv hose instead .

The fitting in the back would suit my application better since my pcv valve is in the rear of the d-side cover.I could always keep the port in the front of the carb they designate fro the pcv , capped off.

Thanks guys
Terry

·
Registered
526 Posts
Guys i am installing a new carb and it has the port in the back for a brake line booster and on in the front for the pvc hose.
I currently have been running the pvc line off the rear port on my old carb and the vacuum line from the power brake booster goes to a fitting a larke fitting on the cavuum "Tree" that is threaded into the intake manifold.

My questions are .
1)is this a good source for my booster vacuum or should i use the port in the back of the carb as described in the instrutional dvd.
2)If i can continue to use the vaccuum from the tree to the booster could i use the port in the rear designated for the booster ,for the pcv hose instead .

The fitting in the back would suit my application better since my pcv valve is in the rear of the d-side cover.I could always keep the port in the front of the carb they designate fro the pcv , capped off.

Thanks guys
Terry
1) Use either one, your preference. Just be sure to block the unused one.
2) No, do not use the power brake vacuum port on the back of the carb for the PCV. It is actually different then the PCV port in the front as it (the rear port) is designed to pull a vacuum and not for constant flow that the PCV needs.

·
Registered
37,786 Posts
Recommendation #1 (if you don't have a shaker or Ram Air). Plug both ports on the carb. Keep using your "tree" for the brake booster. Get a 1" phenolic spacer with a rear PCV port. Use THAT for your PCV.

Recommendation #2 (if you have a shaker or Ram Air, or don't like #1). Plug the rear port on the carb. Keep using your "tree" for the brake booster. Pull the nipple from the front of the carb and substitute a piece of steel tubing, bent in the shape of a "U", to connect the PCV to the valve cover. I'd paint the tubing to protect it.

If you don't want to pull the nipple and stick the tubing in, just connect it with a short length of rubber tubing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Bart, Ihave a shaker hood and cannot use the spacer.The pipe trick is a good one for plumbing the pcv hose however on the summit carb my pcv fitting is off the left corner when i am facing the front of the engine so that should not be a problem just using an extra length of rubing from the nipple to the valve.I mat use a plastic elbow or something to clean it up.

Why do you suggest the tree and not the port on the carb for the booster ?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plugged the port on the rear of the carb that was for the booster and went directly to the rear of the intake manifold and replaced the "tree" with a one port fitting since i was not using the other fittings on the tree anyway and it was IMHO more places to leak.
I used the port that summit suggested for the pvc and ran a 3/8 hose and it looks fine.
I will close the book on this subject.
over and out.
terry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts