Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was driving home yesterday and just as I was almost home, I felt something go wrong with my pedals, and when pressed they both made an awful noise. Luckily they both still still worked, and I was able to make it home.

What I found upon further inspection, was that the shaft that supports both the clutch and the brake pedal, had failed. There is a cotter-type pin that holds the shaft in place, that I guess after 37 years of use, just couldn't take it anymore. The pin collapsed and the shaft was pulled out of place by the force of the clutch return spring.

So anyway, a clutch shaft replacement kit is on the way to the tune of $30. Hopefully won't be too hard to replace.

Has anyone else ever heard of this happening?

Dan

·
Registered
353 Posts
That little hair spring clip popped off the end of my clutch pedal support shaft a few weeks ago. The shaft bushings had been making a loud click/thunk noise the last few months. Fortunately both clutch and brake pedals, on my 65 kept working properly.
I replaced the worn out, factory pot-metal bushings that are stamped into the pedal support bracket with Scott Drake needle bearing bushings. They are held in place with spring clips. With the pedal support bracket removed from the car, the pot-metal bushings were easy to drive out after heat from a propane torch softened them.

The Shops wanted $300+ to replace those bushings. Two of us were able to do it in about 6 hours of trial and error wrench turning. Quite a chore even with the front seat and steering column housing removed. Instructions said to remove the pedals first then the support bracket which we did. Has anyone had any luck removing/reinstalling the support bracket with the clutch and brake pedals attached?

Good Luck.
Mark Mosteller
Garden Grove, CA

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had my pedal shaft converted to roller bearings by Mustang Steve. I believe it's www.mustangsteve.com. Unbelieveable results!

Best $80 bucks that I ever spent! He even converted my manual brake pedal to the power brake pedal setup. The guy is a great welder and does super work. He's an aircraft engineer in Dallas and just does the Mustang work for fun.

David
[email protected]

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
Mark,
When I was doing the floors in my 65 Fastback I had removed & then reinstalled the pedal hanger with the pedals still installed. Very easy. I am also going to have the roller bearing upgrade done by Mustangsteve. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE

On day two of the disassembly, the old shaft is ALMOST out. There aren't words to describe how impossible it is to get the whole pedal and shaft assembly out. I won't be upgrading to bearings at this point, but maybe at some point in the future. Anyway, hopefully we'll be able to wrap this up tonight. Wish me luck...

Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts