Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I swapped out the manual drum brakes on my 69 for discs from a 69. Can I run them manually or will I have to go to a power booster? I've read where some have done this. If so would I use the drum master cylinder or one for the discs? (what is the difference in them?) I don't think I would have enough vaccuum for a booster with the cam I'm running.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
You can have manual disk brakes. The master cylinder should match the brakes. The differences between a disk and drum master cylinder include different bores for different pressure, disk mc has a larger resovoir, and the drum has a residual pressure valve to keep the springs in the drum brake from pulling the shoes in too far.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Yes, you can run manual disk/drum brakes. Use the manual pedal and a manual disk/drum MC. All the rest is the same. I don't believe there were any manual disk Mustangs, from '67 on, so you'll need the MC from a different model. The '74 Maverick works well for this and can be had at any auto parts store. I'm using the Maverick MC on my manual disk/drum '66.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts