Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got those nasty, rusty drums all the way around. I would like to pull the drums off to clean em' up and paint them so they don't looks so bad. Any tricks to removing the drums? BTW: I have never pulled drums. All my previous work had been with disks, which this car is going to have...very soon.

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
On the bottom of the backing plate there is a slotted hole. if the drums are too tight you must turn the adjuster "spur" to screw in. How do I know? I was doing the asame thing yesturday on the 71 I got friday. The drum was so bad I had to turn the adjuster all the way in before I could pry it off. There was about a .040 ridge on the drum. Tine for a new one.
Which side it's on and if it is front or back will determine what direction to turn the spur to loosen.

John
Can you smellllllllalalalala........?
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1589508&a=12100931&p=43885808.jpg
[color:blue]66 coupe 289 2v C4 needs restore</font color=blue>
[color:blue]70 coupe 351W 2v c4 almost done (?)</font color=blue>

·
Premium Member
4,928 Posts
on the bottom there's a little hole. your adjuster is in there and you need to back it all the way off. And they should slide right off (laugh) Sometimes you'll have a little warpage and then they can be kind of a bear cussing and prying seems to help.... But thats how they come off

Ken
99 GTP
97 Yukon
68 GT convert

·
1,211 Posts
Also shoot a little penetrating spray around the center axel piece that comes
through the drum. Sometimes a little rust keeps the drum from sliding out.

If you're careful, you can tap, and I mean tap, the lip of the drom from behind
to help persuede the drum off.

Later,

'66 289 2bbl. Sauterne Gold Connvertible

Shaummy

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
pop it with a rubber mallet all around the face and sides(gently) to break the dust loose, then wiggle the drum side to side like you were checking the front end for wear. (gee sounds like like the hokey poky)

66 Coupe, Sauterne Gold (aka goose sh** green) rust bucket
order parts...wait....parts arrive....wait....look at parts...wait....scratch crotch...wait....look at rust bucket...sigh...scratch again

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
You know, the fronts are easier to remove than a rotor on the disc brake set ups. Changing the front drum though, requires a press (unless you get a replacement with the hub installed already).

Regards,

Dean T

Shikatta Ga Nai - "It cannot be helped"

G

·
0 Posts
As the others said, go with the adjuster and back it all the way off. Tap it with a soft hammer and it should come off. If you whack it with a metal hammer you will break off a chunk and be screwed. If it does not come off I would heat the center of the drum around the studs (where the axle contacts the inside) with a torch to give it some encouragement. Most garages could do this if you dont have a torch. Care should be taken to avoid heating the area in the vicinity of the brake cylinder (top center). Brake fluid does not like heat. I have seen many axles/drums fused together with rust here in the northeast.

Woodman

67 coupe - 302 4V, C4, Versailles 9"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts