Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, this is my first post. I've been reading the VMF for a little while now, and I like what I've seen. I am going to redo the front brakes on my 68 soon, and I was thinking of ordering new drums from Canadian Mustang since they seem to have a better price than most other suppliers. I am wondering if anyone else has purchased these, and what your opinion of the drums and/or Canadian Mustang might be. Thanks...

68 coupe - Soon to be daily driver (I hope!)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have purchased items from Canadian in the past and have been satisfied with quality, service, and price.
The last drum rebuild I did was to replace the drum brake units with 1969 Cougar disc brakes from a donor car.
Have you considered this and is it an option?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have been eyeing the conversion kits for a while, but I don't want to spend the $800-1000 right now. I haven't given the donor car idea much thought though. I don't know how hard it would be to find a donor car for the parts. I live in the SF bay area, and any old mustangs or cougars are long gone out of the junkyards, so I can't go pull the parts I need. Also, I don't have the space for a parts car of my own.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just go east into the San Juaquin Valley some day.
There are hundreds of old auto wrecking yards.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
It's hard to find Mustangs and Cougars in the yards around here, just get new drums and make sure you get 'em turned because they never come true out of the box. So where in the Bay area are you at? I'm in Rohnert Park, near Santa Rosa.

Black primer 66 coupe, bench seat, 68 302-2V, C-4, 3.55 TSD
879 posts as "66 bench-coupe" on old VMF
robert94928 on Yahoo Messenger

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
was wondering the same thing. SWMBO ordered the entire rear suspension and drum re-build kit for me from them and I'm satisified with them. I just placed an order for the front re-build kit tonite and am planning on getting drums for my next shoe change.

Was Bob Emmerich on old forum

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm in San Carlos (on the peninsula), or at least will be next week. I'm about to move to a place with a 2 car garage. I'll finally have a decent place to work on my stang! I talked to the guy who runs a local mustang shop, and he told me that the hubs need to be pressed into the new drums by a machine shop. I would imagine that it is not trivial to separate the hubs from the old drums. He has used drums with the hubs for a decnt price, so I might go that route.

Darin

1 - 9 of 9 Posts