Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed what I am 99% sure is brake fluid on the floor of my Mustang. At the time I assumed it was from all of the leaking I had when installing the brakes and the first few bleeds did not go well at all (stainless lines and DOT 5). I cleaned it up but I think when I went to visit the painter I saw brake fluid even after the media blasting (brakes are still installed). It could have just been remnants of the fluid before that absorbed into the metal. I will be investigating more closely this weekend.

Is it possible that the brakes are leaking into the interior of the car? The only thing I could think of would be fluid from the Master coming through the power brake booster and onto the floor of the car???

Any thoughts? Where else could it be coming from?

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
"he only thing I could think of would be fluid from the Master coming through the power brake booster and onto the floor of the car???"

I think you nailed it.

G

·
0 Posts
Only place brake fluid can leak into the interior is from the master cylinder.

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
to go through the booster into the car is aserious stretch, the booster would have to fill up at least 1/2 way before the fluid could get to the point were the rod goes to the pedal, & you would have to have had the booster destroyed because there are chambers in there with seals & such. the booster would be done for.
what year & what booster set up?
if it is a factory set up from a 65/66, then it is more doubtful because there are linkages that bring the rod into the car.
I think your chasing a ghost

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Your booster is shot, my '69 did the exact same thing. I drove the car so much that I didn't realize the pwr brakes weren't working, new booster made a HUGE difference. I don't know how the fluid makes it's way onto the floor, but it does. My master cylinder was never low. I also had a vacuum leak I couldn't find, it was the booster.....

·
Registered
7,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
STANG32 said:
to go through the booster into the car is aserious stretch, the booster would have to fill up at least 1/2 way before the fluid could get to the point were the rod goes to the pedal, & you would have to have had the booster destroyed because there are chambers in there with seals & such. the booster would be done for.
what year & what booster set up?
if it is a factory set up from a 65/66, then it is more doubtful because there are linkages that bring the rod into the car.
I think your chasing a ghost

I did go through that exact thought process as well. It is a 67 Power Disk Brake setup with a remanufactured midland booster and new Master Cylinder from Cardone (the master is not rebuilt).

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I will try to get a close look this weekend at the paint shop. My major concern right now is just making sure the primer and paint for the floor stick!!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Had a brand "C" pos do the same thing. My first indication that it ate another master cylinder was brake fluid on the floor, except when the pedal went straight to the floor with no warning!

·
Registered
675 Posts
My fluid was disappearing also in my '70 with no apparent leaks. Ended up dumping about a quart of fluid out of the booster! Replaced booster and the dual master cylinder.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts