Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I discovered that Castrol makes synthetic DOT-4 brake fluid. Has this sythetic brake fluid got any advantages over regular brake fluid?

(We're NOT talking silicone fluid or DOT-5.1 here.)

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
I can't answer about the synthetic, but I've been using Castrol LMA in my street and road race cars for several years, and it performs as well or better than many high priced fluids I 've tried. I personally, don't see any reason to pay any more for a brake fluid.

Jim Vogel
Tallmadge, Ohio

http://beta.freepichosting.com/Sites/12217.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
From what I understand, the advantage to synthetic is that it does not absorb moisture over time. Moisture, over time, will lessen brake function and corrode the system. The disadvantage is that it does not perform as well in a race type situation ("spongy brake" feel).
I guess my take on it is if you are road racing your mustang, you may want to use standard brake fluid and change it more frequently.
If you are not a racer (and you live in a humid climate like I do), the synthetic may be better for long-term use. At least that's the way I understand it. Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also use Castrol DoT-4 fluid. LMA = Low Moisture Activity, that is, it's much less hydroscopic (absorbs less H2O) than standard DoT-3, which means less chance of internal brake corrosion. I think it's the best cost/performance compromise.

I've also used silicone fluid, but didn't think it was much better for the $$. Also, if you switch to silicone you'll have to remove all the old DoT 3 or 4 fluid by flushing with alcohol.

http://home.earthlink.net/~keschick/_uimages/Mustangthumbnail.JPG
[color:green] '67 cpe, daily driver </font color=green>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts