Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
My brake lights were not working so I decided to change the brake switch. After I removed the old switch, it turned out that it is working when I press the spring while connected. Now I have two issues
1- is there a way I can adjust it to the pedal and make it more sensitive
2- how the heck you would put it back on the pedal rod with a washer and spacer. I can’t manage to insert the pin to hold them all in place. There is no freaking way this could be done.
Any tips would appreciated.

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Yes, sometimes you can bend the "tab" on the switch so that less travel will actuate the switch. As far as installation...

a. Install one washer on the post on the brake pedal.
b. Install the bushing in the hole in the pushrod from the OUTSIDE.
c. Install the pushrod on the pedal post.
d. Install the switch over the pushrod with the "open" side facing "IN".
e. Install the second washer.
f. Install the hair pin.

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, sometimes you can bend the "tab" on the switch so that less travel will actuate the switch. As far as installation...

a. Install one washer on the post on the brake pedal.
b. Install the bushing in the hole in the pushrod from the OUTSIDE.
c. Install the pushrod on the pedal post.
d. Install the switch over the pushrod with the "open" side facing "IN".
e. Install the second washer.
f. Install the hair pin.
Yes after all, the whole for the pin that should hold them all in place is not visible anymore. Looks like the pushrod is very short and I am not sure how it was sitting on it before.

·
Registered
212 Posts
here is a photo, this definitely helped me when installing my brake switch on my 69. as for the booster I had someone hold it from the outside while I fiddled with the brake switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
here is a photo, this definitely helped me when installing my brake switch on my 69. as for the booster I had someone hold it from the outside while I fiddled with the brake switch.
Thank you. This is helpful.
Did you have enough space for the click ? How did you manage to insert it in? I am having issue getting the click in

·
Registered
1966 Ford Mustang
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow you are the best. After I carefully reviewed this diagram I realized that I am installing the switch from the outside and not in between the rod. I tried it again and it worked thank you so much

1 - 7 of 7 Posts