Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help here. I recently purchased a 66 Mustang C6 Matic last Monday. While getting the pony out of the parking lot the brake didn't work! Good thing I put it in L gear and hit the handbrake. I was scared as hell! Friends of mine who are Mustang owner helped me at 11 in the evening that time. We put brakefluid and went home real slow. Along the way, the handbrake didn't disengage so the rear left tire was smoking! All this in one night. Man, I'm frustrated.

Two of them gave me an advice. Either replace the wheelcap or change the brakeline. I garaged the car for almost 4 days now. And she was leaking for 3 days and strangely enough it stopped yesterday. Now, I'm afraid of taking her out again.

Please reply in layman terms. I'm a newbie here. Thanks a lot!

Still in shock,
B.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
sounds like your brake system need some attention
Does the car still have a single reservoir master cylinder?
DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR UNTIL THE BRAKES HAVE BEEN LOOKED AT BY A QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL!!
if you need to take it somewhere, have it towed.
it probably stopped leaking beacause it was out of fluid

·
Registered
394 Posts
The parking brake problem is likely a frozen cable, either the primary cable from the lever to the equalizer or the cable to the left rear backing plate (most likely). Where is the brake fluid leaking from? I would first stop the leak and then see if that fixed the problem. With the pedal pressure bleeding off becasue of the leak, the brakes can't work. Be sure to check the fluid level in the master cylinder. You will need to perform a thorough check of your system. Do not drive this car until you have diagnosed and repaired the bad parts.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the response!

I'm having my pony checked tomorrow afternoon. And most likely it will be towed to the shop, I can't risk driving it.

Will keep you posted guys!

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Wise move, now fill out your profile so we know who, and where you are!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts