Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few days ago about buying a '66 F-100 and I mentioned that the brake and rear turn signals didn't work, nor did the front turn signals. Park/driving lights are fine front and back. So I dig around under the dash, and find that someone has put in a later style steering column, and the column pigtail isn't hooked into the main harness at all! My main harness has a connector with six sockets (five wires, one unused socket), and another with two sockets. The steering column has eight pins (two are unused, 6 pins total). Using my multimeter I was able to find the 12V for the flashers and the 12V brake switch operated sockets on the harness connector. Using trial and error (along with a good dose of dumb luck) I figured out where to connect the sockets/pins to get brake lights when pedal is depressed, left turn signals (front and back) and right turn signals (front and back). The problem is that when I have a turn signal on, then depress the brakes, both the front and back lights on that side go to bright and stop blinking. On my '65 Mustang the turn signal continues to flash regardless, and I see from searching the forum this should be true of basically any early ford.

The way I ran the wiring to get the brakes to work and turn signals to work included running a wire from both the turn signal pin for a given bulb (right rear or left rear) *AND* a wire from the brake activated 12V source to the socket that controls a given rear bulb. In other words, when that bulb is getting both the brake signal and turn signal, the brake signal is taking over. That kinda makes sense but I don't get why it's doing it on the front as well....

Sorry to ramble on so long but I wanted to tell you everything I know about the problem (which admittedly isn't much). I still have one pin and one connector that isn't used, and I'm assuming it's for the horn. Any ideas on how I need to alter my wiring to fix this? Thanks /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Shane

The pin-out situation is as follows....

On the column pigtail: Two rows of four connectors on top of one another. Top (left to right): Flasher 12V, no pin, left flasher (can do front or back), no pin.
Bottom (L-R): Unused pin, left flasher, right flasher, right flasher.

Factory '66 harness:
2 pin connector (L-R): Right brake/turn, Left brake/turn

5 pin connector (L-R): Top row: no pin, brake 12V, Flasher 12V
Bottom: Right front turn, Left front turn, Unused pin.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both tail-lights have new 1157 bulbs and have two prongs. The driving lights are fine (no problems on that prong). The brakes are fine, and the turn signals are fine so long as the brakes aren't pressed. It's just that when I push the brakes with a turn signal engaged the bulbs on the front and back on that side brighten up and stop blinking. By front bulbs I'm talking about the indicator bulbs, not the headlights. Any ideas? I've looked at the electrical diagrams from my '65, and I can't shake the feeling that the brake lights should somehow be wired *through* the steering harness. Right now I have wires ran from the main harness to the two plug part of the main harness and I have brake lights, without any part of the steering column harness having to be hooked up in order for the brakes to work. I keep reading about how a faulty turn signal switch can cause the brake lights not to work, but the way I have it wired it seems independant. I get the feeling I need to somehow routh the brake signal through the steering column harness to get the "blinking while braking" effect I'm looking for. When I run a wire from the steering column harness to the two socket harness that goes to the back to get my turn signals to work, I basically have two wires going to that part of a given rear bulb. When I press the brakes with a turn signal engaged it seems to override the blinking. I'm very pleased with the progress so far, but I want to get everything working correctly before calling it road-worthy.

Nice pic by the way /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I was down your way last week (PC Beach) and was kinda suprised I didn't see more of that kind of thing. Lots of older couples and stuff... I guess it's the wrong time of year for "sight seeing" LOL.

Shane

·
Registered
67 Posts
Do you have a four-way flashers intigrated with your t/s switch?? This might be causing some of the trouble. You mentioned it might not be the original column. I think you are on the right track with your thinking that the brake lites work through the t/s switch. Good luck and keep us posted.Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts