Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any ideas on where to look for the problem? I checked and all front and rear lights turn on when I turn on the headlights. All the correct lights blink when I turn on the hazard lights. I just have no brake lights and no turn signals at any corner of the car. All my wiring is solid and I didn't see any connectors loose or broken.

I did just clean up some wiring under the dash getting all of the courtesy lights working. I put in a new aftermarket wiring harness a year or so ago and I know that the brake and turn signal lights all worked properly before I parked it in the fall.

This was one of those 'while you're at it' things. I rebuilt the transmission, then decided to make the light in the shifter bezel work, then figured that I may as well make the light for the ignition switch work, then I replaced all of the bulbs in the gauge cluster, then started on figuring out why the back-up lights weren't working (turns out wrong bulbs - thanks a lot Haynes manual...), then made the clock and glove box lights work as well as the under dash courtesy lights, then I ordered a new voltage regulator for the gauges, then I started studying HID headlight conversion kits. After the test drive of the perfectly smooth rebuilt transmission, I remembered that I have a replacement steering box that I have to put in to get rid of the steering slop, and also started smelling coolant and seeing a little steam after turning off the engine so I started looking into aluminum radiators.

I'm really afraid to go out to the car again, but I really need to figure out how to make my brake and turn signal lights work right... The only wires I messed with under the dash were interior lighting wires which are all on a different circuit than the exterior lighting.

I'm wondering if the brake switch or turn signal switch may be the culprit?

Thanks!

Danny

·
Registered
5,736 Posts
If brake & TS don't work but hazads do (proving wiring & bulbs are good) then what's common to both is the turn signal switch. It all goes thru it. When inspecting connectors make not only are they plugged tightly but look at the pins themselves to see no corrosion and that a pin isn't pushed half way out on back sides. This includes connector at bottom of steering colunm.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I would bet on the turn signal cam behind the steering wheel.I just went through this with no brake lights.the cam can get loose and sloppy against the turn sig switch and not have a good connection where it swivels.not too bad a job.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lucky me! It turned out to be the connector at the bottom of the steering column wasn't connected all the way.

Thanks for the help, guys!

Danny

1 - 4 of 4 Posts