Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 69 Mustang convertible 302. I can't figure out what happened to my brake lights. They used to work fine. My turn signals, dash lights, radio, hazards, heater/defroster, horn, headlights, convertible motor...all work. But my brake lights dont. The fuses under dash are all fine. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have not. Do you know where I can find instructions to check the brake light switch?
Sorry, I'm a bit of a novice....I'm learning as I go.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,541 Posts
Cool! So this Shop Manual is good for all 69 Mustangs?

It is good for all 1969 Ford cars- Mustang, Galaxie, T-bird, etc., etc.
It is expensive because there are 5 volumes in the set. Up through 1968 there was only 1 volume for each specific car such as Mustang/Falcon. Beginning in 1969 all cars are combined in the set.

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
You'll find the brake light switch under the dash and wiring attached to the brake pedal. first check to see if the plug came off the switch or broke off. A switch is cheap, about $8 at O'Reileys or Advance Auto Parts.

You can test your existing switch without removing it if you has an ohm meter. Simply unplug the connector attach the leads from the meter, set the meter on ohms and press het brake pedal. If you see the needle move on the ohm meter chances are it's not the switch.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys. Update....so I've had some education about the brake light switch and you are correct, it is the culprit. I took it off, test with continuity....works fine. Depressed the plate by hand...brake lights work. So why doesnt it work when I put it back on the pedal? I saw another thread in this forum about taking 2 needle nose pliers and slightly bend the plate so that it bends more towards the front of the car so it touches the push rod better....didn't work. So I thought I just need to put a little shim between the plate and the spring. When I tried sliding in the shim, I busted out the little round plastic piece located at the end of the spring. So now it doesnt work at all! LOL. I'm going to order a replacement brake light switch and keep y'all posted. If you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears. By the way, I ordered the 69 manual. Thanks guys, appreciate the assistance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PS, any suggestions where I should buy the brake light switch? Is CJ Pony Parts the best?

·
Registered
4,366 Posts
...or even from Amazn. There are probably only a couple of makers for that part or ebay is good for finding a real Motorcraft part. The one for power and manual brakes are different parts.

Pick up a Haynes manual for quicker reference and troubleshooting for 99% of a common guys needs for about $10. You don't mind as much when they get greasy or sweat droplets on the pages:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I went over to O'Reilly's and picked one up. I put it on and still didn't work. I stuck a very thin piece of metal up between the plate and push rod and it worked perfect. I guess it was just a millimeter off and the pushrod wasn't connecting the plate. Not the best solution but that piece of metal is in there pretty good and I don't think it'll fall out. All is well now.

·
Registered
33,624 Posts
I went over to O'Reilly's and picked one up. I put it on and still didn't work. I stuck a very thin piece of metal up between the plate and push rod and it worked perfect. I guess it was just a millimeter off and the pushrod wasn't connecting the plate. Not the best solution but that piece of metal is in there pretty good and I don't think it'll fall out. All is well now.
There is a plastic bushing that needs to be there to make it work properly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts