Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I hate to start another fuel line thread but I've got another question and the other thread was getting old.

I can't find aluminum fuel line anywhere around here, none of the auto parts chains carry it and the speed shops just sell braided stainless for an obscene cost.

Two auto parts counter guys recommended just running steel brake line, I doubt they have stainless line so this would be regular steel line. Is there any reason not to use this stuff on a low pressure carburated application? This is going to be the line from the pump to the carb.

G

·
I have used STEEL brake line for fuel many times. I have never encountered a problem in doing so.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
My understanding is that stock fuel line is mild steel, not aluminum. The only difference between fuel and brake line would not be in the compositin of the metal, rather, the diameter of the line. Brake line, being of smaller diameter, would not allow the same volume of fuel to flow, potentially leading to fuel starvation.

Summit Racing sells fuel line in bulk, of various metals. I purchased 5/16ths stainless in bulk to use in fabricating fuel line. It is reasonably priced, when purchased under their house brand.

good luck.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty sure the line that's on there now (may not be original) is aluminum. It was very soft when I ran a reamer in the cut end to get an accurate measurement of the ID (it was .250).

Summit is reasonably priced until you tack on their $11 handling charge, it's not worth dealing with them for a small order. Unfortunately I just got a big order from them yesterday, I wish I had put a roll of fuel line in my order.

It looks like I'm going to be at NAPA tomorrow to get some brake line unless someone has a reason not to do this. Brake line is cheap and if this starts to look like it's degrading I'll just tack a roll of aluminum line and some fittings onto my next Summit order.

Edited to add: Thanks VMF once again for the help.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used 3/8 brake line to run from my fuel pump to my carb and have never had any issues.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've used same type of line for recreating the metal fuel line that runs from the fuel pump to the carb with no issues. The thing to consider is at the end of metal line with a hose clamped to it there is a ring where the pipe was been pushed out. This helps prevent the hose from slipping off. Look at your radiator it has them too. I've heard of a tool for it being sold but never found one. Anyone here have one?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've seen tools to do the push on flare but they're always expensive. Inline Tool lists one on their website.

By the way, I'm an idiot for looking for aluminum line without checking to see what was on the car. The line that was on my car was very soft when I tried to work with it but it is also magnetic so it's clearly steel. Also, I forgot that tube is measured from the OD so 5/16" is the right size. I figured since this stuff flows liquid it would be measured ID like pipe. I got a length of 5/16 brake line from NAPA and it looks exactly like the stuff that was on my car.

G

·
bluecoupe said:

I got a length of 5/16 brake line from NAPA and it looks exactly like the stuff that was on my car.
Smart man.......er I am glad that they could help you :p

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
I doubt aluminum tubing is used for fuel or brake lines.

Low carbon steel tubing is easily formed, bent because of it's low yield point. This type of tubing is used primarily to enable flaring without fracturing/splitting.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
When I built my line from 5/16 brake line, I just lightly flared the end so the rubber hose wouldn't slip off. It worked perfectly.

Joe

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Aluminum tubing is fine for fuel lines, and it's easy to bend by hand. You can find inexpensive aluminum tubing many places. The only pitfall is strength, which only comes into play if poorly routed and/or protected.

Here's a good article on fabricating your own aluminum fuel line...

FordMuscle

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Guess I'm just a little old fashioned. I still wonder if aluminum fuel lines would be DOT approved for production vehicles. My next question is why aluminum? Maybe because aluminum fittings were used.

As an old fart I recall when aluminum wiring in homes was the "hot" thing! It was a disaster!

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
You're probably right about DOT not approving aluminum fuel lines, but if I were plumbing hard fuel lines I'd probably just use aluminum, mostly because the convenience factor ... easy bending, easy flaring, availability and low cost.

Now using aluminum for electrical is a whole other thing all together... What were the electricians smoking back in the 70's?! I bet the engineers/builders were more excited about the cost savings over copper than the performance of aluminum wire!

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Aluminum is almost as conductive as copper and had become a lot lower cost. Apparantly didn't anticipate the anodic corrosion problems.

Seems to me a "delicate" aluminum fuel line could be easily punctured by a sharp throwen object...therefore a safety issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.