Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New front lines are on, but ran into trouble with the rears.

The distribution block on the axle is too low to get my brake line wrench on the nuts. I tried gently using a regular 3/8's, but stopped because it would have just rounded the nuts.

Is there something I'm missing? Can the block be raised, or does someone have another (constructive!) suggestion?

·
Registered
876 Posts
If memory serves me correct, that distribution block on the rear is part of the rear flex line.Dont remember what size wrench I used but I replaced that threaded nipple.It comes with a new vent hose kit.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mal.

There's a vent of some sort coming off the top, a fitting with a flex hose that runs into the chassis somewhere. I removed the flex hose and unscrewed the fitting enough to get a little play in the block and the little suckers popped right off. Thank God for flare nut wrenches.

Question two: What the heck is the flex line for? It's not the brake line flex hose, that goes into the front of the block, this one comes out the top and goes into the chassis. I've looked on the inside of the car and can't see where it comes out.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
the hose that goes into the chassis, is, i believe the vent for the axle

·
Registered
42 Posts
The vent hose you're talking about is for the rear axle. It's to bleed off any fumes and pressure caused by the oil getting too hot. The hose end just sits in the chassis and everything that comes out of the end of the hose gets dumped there. I got rid of the hose on mine and the fitting and put a fancy polished one that I bought at Summit (SUM-E730301) for $10.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
That's right. That hose is there to protect that vent bolt so that it won't block from dirt. The passage is very small and easily blocked. Mine was and the rear pushed oil through bearings into right rear drum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts