Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a brake line kit for my '65 coupe from CJs. I converted the car to dual exhaust. At this time I have non powered drums all around. The sales rep said to buy the kit for a standard drum V8 and get the HiPo rear brake hose. I was looking at it tonight and the line that runs to the rear of the car states for single exhaust. Should I return it and get the power drum dual exhaust kit or will this kit work with my current brake setup?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I'm kinda curious as to what the difference in brake lines are. I would think it should work either way. I thought the only difference in brake lines was between the 6-cyl's and the V8's. I'm not real sure what single or dual exhaust has to do with it. Just my thoughts. I would think as long as you bought a V8 brake line, you'd be good.

Get a second opinion, but those are my thoughts.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dual exhaust will melt the rubber brake line the runs near the exhaust. I went and looked at the car again, I believe the M/C has been changed to a dual res and I have no idea from what year or type of car. There is also a plug on the distribution block I guess for brake lights. I think I may have a bigger project on my hands now.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
On a factory production dual exhaust car the bracket that the hard line from the front of the car attaches to is in a slightly different location than for a single exhaust car. This was to provide clearance for the flex line that attaches to the hard line and routes to the brake line distribution block that mounts on the rear axle housing. Its' design was to prevent any interferance of the flex line and the driver side tail pipe.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bracket on the flex hose is longer a bent different from the single exhaust hose. There are two holes that fittings will screw into on the flex hose. Is that used as the distribution block?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Believe me, unless you're doing a concourse restoration, you want that dual reservoir. This way if one line brakes, at least you've got your other set of brakes. On the ol mason jar style M/C's, if one line broke, all your brakes were out. Happened to a friend of mine on an old T-bird. Yeah, try stopping one of those huge cars with no brakes(he was coming DOWN a bridge when it happened, so he picked up plenty of momentum :: ).

Also, ask the other guys cause it's been a while since I've looked, but did Ford stamp a code on the M/C's? Cause if they did, it'd be real easy to identify the year.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
This post sounds so confusing. Hopefully I can straighten it up a little.

1. If you are changing to dual ex, you should move the single exhaust bracket in the back to the correct dual exhaust location. If not the LH rear tail pipe might touch the rubber brake hose and cause failure. I believe VA Mustang or NPD sells the bracket for dual exhaust. Much easier to just replace it as compared to remove and re-use the original one but no matter what, remove the original single ex bracket. you can simply drill out the two spot welds.

Here is a good example of what the dual bracket looks like in place. The single exhaust bracket is located towards the right(near the tunnel)

dual exh. bracket

When I switched ours to dual I noticed to the left of the old bracket location is a stamped indentation of where the dual exhaust bracket is normally located. Just clean the area real well and you'll find it. The stamping is like an upside down L.

Here is a shot of where I located my bracket:
Newly mounted dual exh bracket

If you got the main line that goes along the tunnel, one that is marked for single exhaust then it will not reach over to where the dual exhaust bracket would be located in the back. So yes return the line and get the right one.

Dual MC-If you have one that is good.

Plug in distribution block has nothing to do with brake lights. Are you talking about the distribution block up front by the MC? The brake light system is purely electrical.

Vicspony, I'm very confused about the flex hose comment. On dual exhaust it goes from the bracket which I've already shown over to the rear axle and is held in place by using the rear axle vent nipple. The bracket on the end of the hose had the rear distribution block (which the hose is actually fitted to). This block has two threaded holes for the RH and LH brake lines. Heres another shot to help visualize:

rear brake distribution block in place

Hope the pics help.

Craig

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I know what he's thinkin about though with the distribution block and brake lights. I seem to recall there being a wire connected to the distribution block when I took mine off, never was sure what it went to(was there a sensor there if it lost brake pressure?). Never did figure out what the wire did.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Craig
The rear flex distribution hose is the flex hose I was talking about. Your last picture helped me with that. The plug I was refering to is next to the M/C. sorry about the confussion. I think I can get the new lines to work with thte M/c I have without a lot of problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts