Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The brake pedal hangs up on the "ribbed" section of the steering column on my '70, when the pedal is pushed down it hangs up on the way back up, I have to pull it up with my foot so the brake lights will not stay on. Is there any way to adjust it away from the column?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
It's probably a worn out or damaged support. Look at the bushings where the pedal goes through the support.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ylexot said:
It's probably a worn out or damaged support. Look at the bushings where the pedal goes through the support.
Could it be that the support is still good and the bushings are worn out?

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
The bushings are staked into the support. If the bushing is toast, so is the support at the mount point. It can be repaired. I would suggest going with the roller conversion which does not depend on the sheet metal of the support being in good condition at the pivot point. This is a very common problem in Mustangs, especially manual transmission cars.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Who sells the support? Can't find it for my year in NPD. How much of a P.I.T.A. is it to change?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
They make a pedal support repair kit that is about $15. It includes two new larger bushings that replace the old ones and some new plastic inserts. It will work fine and last at least as long as the original did. You can also install it with the pedal carrier still in the car. The hardest part is grinding our or otherwise removing the old bushings.

·
VMF Full-Timer
3,823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dustyrelics said:
They make a pedal support repair kit that is about $15. It includes two new larger bushings that replace the old ones and some new plastic inserts. It will work fine and last at least as long as the original did. You can also install it with the pedal carrier still in the car. The hardest part is grinding our or otherwise removing the old bushings.
Do to the confined space of the support brace, what tool would be best for grinding off the bushings? Also , if the bushings have to be ground off, how do you install the new ones?Or would it be better to remove support assembly?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The one below is a 67/68, but the location and the bushings are about the same. Chances are one side of the bushing is fine (towards the passenger side of the car) and only one will be critical. But if the inside one is ovaled you would want to replace it to. They are aluminum I think, or soemthing similar so they are not real hard metal. If the outside bushing is real bad what's left of it might just knock right out. The bushing repair kit offers a bushing with a larger flange on it that just slides in the hole once the old bushing is knocked out. Often the metal housing will also be ovalled out where the bushing was worn. In many cases the larger repair bushing will just overlap this absent metal. But if it is real bad then you might have to weld a correct sized washer over the opening. If ity it that bad then I might consider taking it out to do the repair. But it is sort of a bugger to get out. You have to take the brake booster or MC off, at least one pedal, lower the steering column, etc.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
You REALLY need to remove the pedal support to fix it. It can be done with the steering column in place but it is very difficult that way. Mustang Steve will rollerize it for you for $85 no matter how bad of shape it is in.

Take out the front seat before working on it. Makes things a lot easier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts