Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History: 66 stang, replaced the single w/ a dual MC (no booster) and replaced all the brake lines. all work done about 1 year ago

Here's the situation: Brakes work great, but when stopped at a light, the pedal slowly falls, almost to the floor. The brakes still work, but I get concerned. I lift up and push it again, and the pedal goes back to its original level. There is NO leak, the MC is always at the same level.
I was looking around and found a post that talks about the MC seals leaking into itself, do you think that's what i've got?? Is there anyway of "testing" the MC? I would hate to replace the MC only to find that the real problem is somewhere else.

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=forum&Number=761594&Forum=All_Forums&Words=brake%20pedal%20floor&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Main=761594&Search=true#Post761594

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
You have a bad master cylinder. Get it rebuilt or replaced ASAP. The next step in this failure is total loss of brakes. Do it NOW. Don't wait for the accident.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
damn. that sucks. i want to start on some fun engine mods, not replacing a dual MC that i just put on the car 1 year ago.

i bought this one at autozone. i get the feeling it was sitting on a shelf for a few years. is there a better place to buy a dual MC for manual drum brakes?

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I don't know about a better place to buy one, but didn't that one come with a lifetime warranty?

You could spend a bunch more money on one at places like Master Power Brakes and Stainless Steel Brakes, but I don't know that they'd be any better.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good call. i'll search my receipts. also, if i go back to the same store, i should end up with a a relatively new one b/c i know that they only keep one on the shelf at a time ;)

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
I'd go back to Autozone and get it replaced on the warranty. You can get a bad part anyplace, but the chances of getting two in a row are real slim. They should still have your info on their computer, if you don't have the receipt.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I concur. Sounds like a bad master. Bring it back. Autozone should have your info on thier system, so there shouldn't be any problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts