Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello

i am in the process of doing a front disc brake conv. on my 65 vert. i have two questions. first is regarding the brake pedal and master cyl. pushrod. i am using the scott drake power booster and master cylinder kit. i have it all mounted BUT i am having a very hard time with where everything mounts on the pedal. the brake pedal has the round bit where the brakelight switch etc. mounts. after i have put everything on in the order it came off i cant use the outboard nylon washer and get the clevis pin in. if i skip the outboard nylon washer i CAN get the pin in from below but it just falls back out. i cant figure out WHY the assembly now is wider so i cant use the last nylon washer? working from the brake pedal out it appears that it should be assembled in the following sequence. nylon washer, first side of brake-light switch, the power booster pushrod complete with its nylon bushing inserted, second side of brake-light switch, second nylon washer and finally the clevis pin. but as mentioned if i use that second nylon washer it covers the hole and i cant insert the pin....

second question is that i am thinking about undoing the clamp that holds the steering column in place so i can possibly lower the column a bit to get a little more room for my fat hands. there are 2 nuts on threads that hold it in place. when i turn one of the nuts the stud or bolt or whatever it is turns as well. i cant get my hand up there to feel what it is??? anybody know how that is put together? i dont want to undo it if i cant get things threaded back together. hope this all makes sense.

thanks
kent

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
On the "pin" protruding from the pedal lever....
1. Nylon washer
2. Pushrod with bushing installed from the OUTSIDE.
3. Stop light switch with "U" shaped open side inside and facing down.
4. Nylon washer.
5. Hair pin.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for this. i put the bushing for the pushrod on the INSIDE. guessing thats my problem! now just gotta figure out about dropping the steering column a bit so i can get my hands in there. my car is a stick so the clutch pedal is really in the way!

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,678 Posts
I did mine a couple of weeks ago. When I attached the brake pushrod assembly I let the lower clutch rod go at the clutch fork and grabbed the pedal with 2 hands and lowered it to the floor. That gave me room to get the rod and switch on the brake pedal. Be careful the clutch pedal will want to slam to the floor. With 2 hands it easy to control.

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
thanks for this. i put the bushing for the pushrod on the INSIDE. guessing thats my problem! now just gotta figure out about dropping the steering column a bit so i can get my hands in there. my car is a stick so the clutch pedal is really in the way!
You can always depress the clutch pedal (or have someone hold it down) then go out and tie/bungee/strap the top of the equalizer bar to the core support or the like.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok so i dont think i am that much of an idiot and would call myself mechanically inclined but this brake pedal is driving me nuts! further to the below:

1. Nylon washer
3. Stop light switch with "U" shaped open side inside and facing down.
4. Nylon washer.
5. Hair pin.

which i have done, the assembly is still to "fat" to allow me to use the OUTER nylon washer and the clevis pin. it is the brakelight switch which dictates the thickness of the "package" so it has to be something to do with that. in regards to the sequence above, when you install the brake switch the pushrod rides inside both sides of the switch correct? so when it is assembled on the pin it should be :

1. Nylon washer
3. Stop light switch with "U" shaped open side inside and facing down. THE "U" SHAPED SIDE GETS SANDWICHED BETWEEN THE FIRST NYLON WASHER AND THE PUSHROD.
THE SIDE OF THE BRAKELIGHT SWITCH WITH THE "HOLE" IN IT FITS ON THE OUTBOARD SIDE OF THE PUSHROD CAUSING THE PUSHROD TO LIVE "INSIDE" BOTH SIDES OF THE BRAKELIGHT SWITCH.
4. Nylon washer.
5. Hair pin.

the above is how i have it set up and the final nylon washer covers the hole where the clevis pin should go. it seems the first nylon washer is causing the entire package to stand off the pedal a bit. should THAT washer somehow "recess into the pushrod hole or the brakelight switch "U"? also it appears the brakelight swith can only be installed with the "U" on the side closest to the pedal but the OPEN side of the "U" has to face up, towards the dash. i found the below diagram online and this is exactly how i have done it and the assembly is too fat for the pin???

1 - 7 of 7 Posts