Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Does anyone know the proper length of the M/C push rod for a 66 with 4 wheel manual drum brakes?

I am working on a friends 66 and the current setup has the brake pedal sitting about 3" forward(toward the seat) than the clutch pedal. Looking at the pedal/push rod, the push rod seems too long. TIA

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
I just measured a correct '66 OEM Original M/C Push rod for All Drum brakes. It measure just a a hair shy of 6 1/2 inches. It's like a Centimeter shy.

This should help.

·
Registered
9,015 Posts
PS: Most of the Push rods included in the new or re-manufactured kits are too short, and are Maverick Push Rods if you can believe it...I have found. The fact that yours is longer is a good sign.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't know if it being longer than the Maverick style is better, but driving this thing with the pedal so high is quite dangerous.

I will be removing the MC this weekend to get a closer look, but right now I measured about 6" from the attachment point on the pedal to the flange of the MC. I will guess it is another 1" to the tip of the pushrod (I measured my 67MC pushrod from flange to pushrod tip and got 1").

Based on the pivot of the pedal, I think a 1/2" shorter rod than what is there will probably get the pedal to the right height.

I am curious to see if others also have 6-1/2". Thanks guys...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts