Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished a Front disk w/ dual master cyl. conversion on our '58 Thunderbird. Needless to say there are no "stock" parts for this, so I bought a kit that uses Caddy calipers and hand made brackets. Everything went together great but I got no pedal pressure because the stock M/C rod was too short for the new unit. No problem - -I just added about 1/4 to the rod and it worked great - - for the first few short rides.

Tonight I got it out to clean it up for a show tomorrow. Ran down to the station to top off the tank, and thought I'd cruise a little on the way home. About a mile into my cruise the pedal got really hard and the calipers started dragging. I limped her home and came in for some Gatorade and thought I'd better ask the pros for advice. Does this sound like a bad master cyl., or do I have the rod too long? Is it possible that the too long of a rod is not allowing fluid to return to the m/c?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I suspect the rod is a tad too long and not allowing room for expansion of fluid when it warms up.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I agree I think the rod is just a tad to long or the other possibility is the calipers are froze up but i doubt that they would both do it at the same time so rod is the main suspect. ::

1 - 3 of 3 Posts