Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having a stange problem on the 68GT (disk front, drum rear). My brakes have excessive pedal play before they grip. I have checked everything, I think. Master cylinder Booster holds a vac, so does the can, no leaks in fittings or tubing. Booster lever adjustment OK. Did a gravity bleed all around so no air. All calipers and cylinders OK. Thoughts? Sometimes when you rev the engine you feel a little pedal drop like she is short of vacuum. I am pulling my hair out.

Signed, Kojak

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
How about the pushrod? Does it feel like it's engaging the master cylinder immediately, or is that where the slop is?

I assume it's an original power brake car? You know the power brake 68s had a different pedal setup than the manual brake cars, right?

·
Registered
9,826 Posts
Have you tried adjusting the rear drums? The are what will define your pedal feel.

Try this; In park or whatever, set your ebrake as hard as you can. Press on the brake pedal. If the play is gone, you have found your problem......

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
To add to Hemikiller's post....
If the rear drums have been turned (oversize) past the recommended limit you won't have a solid pedal.

·
Registered
267 Posts
And while you're at it, unless you already have, you might as well replace the (rubber) front brake hoses.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I have a prob with my kids' '65 that the firewall flexes when braking. Watch the MC/booster while an assistant applies the brakes, and see if it moves. I'll be putting some kind of brace between the firewall and the shock tower one of these days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts