Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know 4 wheel manual drums are never going to match discs, and I'm okay with that. But the brakes on my 68 are worse than they ought to be. I've done the complete brake job (wheel cylinders, rubber lines, linings, hardware, etc) which did improve the overall feel. Brakes were bled, pedal isn't spongy. But as was the case before I did the brakes, I still don't think I could lock up the wheels with both feet on the brake pedal, even if I eat my wheaties. What am I missing?

Any ideas?

BDShannon
68 Convertible
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,188 Posts
Make sure you leave plenty of following distance between you and the car in front. I have suffered the same problems for many years. I think it's the nature of the beast.

http://home.mindspring.com/~thedaughertys/_uimages/M1.jpg
Now 293 ci (.030" bore) with Holley 450 and 295,000 miles
MCA #49294

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is one thing that seems to work: don't drive any other (modern) car anymore. In a few weeks you'll wonder why you thought the brakes were bad...

Seriously, if you regularly drive a modern car, you're not going to get the same stopping power with a vintage car. I have discs front/drums rear/brake-servo on my classic car and it doesn't brake like a modern car. But since it's my only driver I only notice when I step into a modern car. Just keep enough distance between you and the traffic ahead (I go by the rule of thumb of at least two seconds distance).

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yup, when i drive mine for a while and then step into my dads truck, i slam down on the brakes so hard it nearly throws me threw the windshield. hehe. im so used to my car - it a 01 so it brakes reall nice. i have to slowly convert over to the newer car standards.

Corpus Christi TX

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks all for the response - I guess I was just thinking that there must still be something a bit off. I've had cars with 4 manual drums before, and I don't remember them being this bad. It just seems like I should be able to lock em up if I stomp 'em.

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
If you look at the specs for the older cars they take 50 ft or more than modern cars to stop. Kind of scary what we thought were good brakes back them.

I was looking at a road test of a 71 Maverick and they were pleased that it didn't fade after 3 hard stops. The fourth was kind of scary. And it only pulled a little to the right! These were brand new cars!

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12110688&p=43875040&Sequence=1&res=high.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
The OEM type brake materials today are far sub-standard than that of the 60's, 70's up through mid 1980's depending on application. The friction co-efficients are so low (ie ability to grab), that I know of no vehicle with OEM type lining on shoes that anyone can say actually stops to the extend they feel "Comfortable". But there is an answer, speciality brake linings. I purchase mine from these two reliners..

Semi-metallics (yes actually real semi-metallics)
$50 a set (approximately)
L&M friction materials, Riverside, Ca

#914 linings (equivalent to Velva Touch used on the Shelby's and NASCAR in the 1960's)
$120 a set (approximately)
CarboTech Engineering, Florida
Check on line for phone #

These stop as well as any 1960's disc brake setup.

If you need more info, e-mail me

Jeff
Member: Flatheads ain't so bad association
Never trust an over 40 Chevy owner association (They have to cheat to win)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I agree. I have power drums and I can lock them up. It's not to bad at all going from my more modern cars the '65. Although my wife doesn't like it because it does take a little more pressure and room. It's one reason to say with drums, otherwise I'd never get to drive it. :)

'65 Coupe 289 V2 AT PB

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i hated my drums, but my mustang is a 6 cylinder one, and from talking to many people, even after a rebuild it was determined that ALL 6 cylinder mustang brakes were horrible, but other than that, i have heard the 8 cyl ones were ok if you had a booster.

I switched over to 4 wheel power discs....

/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[color:blue]Todd (the guy with the 8.8)
restomod junkie, 19 y/o with too many ideas and not enough money to finish any of them..
ObsidianSpider on AOL IM
http://home.att.net/~obsidianspider/5lugwormviewsmall.jpg</font color=blue>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts