Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help I am removing the front disc spindles off a 71 mach1. But I cant get the bottom ball joints off the lower control arm or off the lower end of the spindles HELP PLEASE :(

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Go to autozone, buy a ball joint remover tool (not the kind that looks like a long fork/prybar, but the kind with a screw that pushes it out). Tighten it up, give the spindle some smacks to loosten it up, tighten harder and repeat until it pops out.

Also, i would suggest measuring the width of the spindle in the balljoint area, and measure the puller you get and get the smallest one that will fit around the spindle. Trying to use a looser one just sucks.

Also, if they have a borrowing program, borrow all the different ball-joint pullers so you'll have more options.

·
Registered
633 Posts
I read about this method in a Resto-mod article. I've tried it several times and it's worked like a champ. Just get a big hammer a wrap the spindle right where the ball-joint goes through the hole. Don't hit the ball-joint, just the spindle. About 2 "shocks" and it dropped right out for me. (Oh, make sure you don't have the nut fully off so when the spindle and/or control arm falls free, it doen't come crashing down.) Good luck!

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
The big (several pound sledge works best) hammer hitting the spindle works. Just hit the spindle NOT the ball joint. Go the Mustangsplus website and review for their tech article on the matter.

John Harvey

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You were lucky! Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I've done them this way in my younger days, and have some that popped right out and some that I spent HOURS trying to beat them out with a sledge hammer.

Get the jaw type puller. I've never seen one that I couldn't get out in 2 minutes with one of them, and Autozone will loan you one for free.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts