Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All:

I recently completed a total rebuild of the brake system on my '66 V8 convertible. I replaced EVERY moving & fluid carrying part (front & rear). This car had 4 wheel drum brakes with a factory Bendix power booster. The steel lines were full of rust and the wheel cylinders were beginning to leak. It was a real mess. I went with an SSBC front disk brake kit and opted for the dual reservoir master cylinder with a power booster. The SSBC instructions were not the best nor was their technical support. BUT, their brake components were first class (at least for a 'driver' car). Everything fit together without any problems. There was plenty of clearance between the new MS & the shock tower. I also went with DOT5 (silicone) fluid. The new front disk brakes are excellent and provide straight stops, good pedal feel and modest power assist.
My only complaint is that with the power booster and adjustable push rod which SSBC supplied, the brake pedal
is MUCH higher than before. I actually had to remove the
pedal stop bumper to install the brake pedal arm & linkage.
SSBC doesn't have a shorter push rod and they suggested that
I shorten the threaded rod which is part of the booster.
This is an easy fix and I will do it very soon. Due to the
geometry of the pedal arm & linkage, a 1/4" cut off the rod
will probably drop the pedal the 2".

Yes, it was an expensive route to take, but the SSBC gear is excellent even if their documentation & support are below par.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Sounds like a very nice job!/forums/images/icons/smile.gif I'm in the middle of my brake work right now. Like you, every scrap of old brake parts need replaced.

·
Vendor
5,209 Posts
My car has SSBC front disks with Porterfield R4S pads, braided hoses and rear drums.

You couldn't sell me another kit. It stops on a dime!

Tip: If you want even better braking, chuck the stock pads and upgrade to a semi metallic or carbon mix pad...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts