Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 66 Mustang currently has drum brakes all around and a single reservior master cylinder. I'm happy with the drum brakes, but not the whole single point failure issue with the master cylinder.

Are there any upgrade kits for replacing the master cylinder with a dual master cylinder on a drum brake system? From what I've seen, all brake kits seem to be for upgrading to disk brakes and are rather costly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hi,
I've done a few conversions over the years. If you can bend and flare your own lines,you can do it yourself reasonably . You'll need a dual master cylinder for a 67 or newer drum brake mustang( anywhere from $25-$100 depending upon your source). A 3/16" plug fitting for the distribution block, and some 3/16"s line and appropriate fittings. For what it's worth the Advance auto parts near my house does a free loan a tool program which includes a double flaring tool. I think they all do that with tools. Good luck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like that CJ Pony parts kit. I think I will go with that. Maybe sooner than later since I have no idea how old my current master cylinder is and I just had a heater core and an alternator abruptly fail within the last week.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts