Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gee, you learn something new each day. I have been in contact with SSBC about upgrading my 69 Mach brakes. I bought just a shell, but it did have a booster/master cylinder on the wall, extremely bad shape. Car is a big block with power brakes, front disc/rear drum, A/C, auto (changing to std). I wanted a new booster/master cylinder, new calipers and everything, change the rear to disc, also.
I wanted to buy it all from the same company. But yet SSBC doesn't offer anything, and I mean ANYTHING, for the front. Why is that? They offer a kit if I was changing over from drum to disc, but nothing if you already have front disc. What's the diff?? What's the big deal?? Anyone got an answer for me? Many thanks IA. Ken

·
Registered
21,079 Posts
Personally, I'd rebuild the stock system. Use the money for something else. I lot of the guys here who road race say the drums work fine in the rear, besides, IIRC the BB use wider 2" shoes in the rear. At one point I thought about going with Wilwoods, but am I really going to be driving that aggresively on the street? There are a lot of guys such as opentracekr and 2bav8 are using factory discs as well (Granada)

·
Registered
512 Posts
SSBC is the most overpriced of all the conversion vendors. I think MasterPower is the cheapest, and then there's the good old stock rebuild as suggested already. Personally, I think there is some truth to the argument that the big brake kits are pretty much just for bling. You don't need it. Especially in back, I think discs are unnecessary. I plan on going with the 11x2.25 drums. The only thing there is that you need the new style or Torino style flanges on your axle housing I think. Should still be cheaper though than discs. On the front, I haven't decided yet if stock discs or maybe a little bigger. My $.02 anyway.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmmm, well, O.K.. Where (if even possible) would I get the booster rebuilt? Also,who would have a new proportioning valve?

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
Hmmmm, well, O.K.. Where (if even possible) would I get the booster rebuilt? Also,who would have a new proportioning valve?
Autozone or your local parts store should have rebuilt booster and M/C for cheap. As far as the prop valve, NPD has some and are quite pricey for something that rarely goes bad. I'd opt for a granada proportioning valve if you don't already have the mustang one on your car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts