Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm feeling pretty good about my newbie mechanical skills.....Today I installed the rebuilt SSBC calipers and bled the brakes all around - for the first time ever and all by myself. Like I tell my sons "I'm such a big boy" /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I think I sweated out about 5 gallons in the 90 degree heat. Took me about 2.5 hours start to finish. Took it for a short ride to check 'em, and other than one short chirp from the front on the first semi-hard brake they were smooth. Don't know why that happened, but I'm hoping that it's no big deal (did not happen again)

The old brake fluid was a pretty dark reddish brown, where the new fluid was just slightly tan.....Is this a bad sign?

Dickson

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Brake fluid in its pre-installed form is clear. The discoloration is from rust in the various components, like the brake lines, wheel cylinders, etc. The light tan means you flushed out a lot of the old fluid that had been semi-contaminated and have just "a little" rusty fluid percentage wise. The only cure is to replace all hydro. parts of the brake system, other than the flex hoses. No real harm though. Just watch it and if it starts looking dark brown and red, flush it out with clean fluid. Congrats! on your first brake bleeding experience. Car sure seems to stop better when you fix the brakes yourself right?

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm glad to hear that it's not a sign of anything bad. IIRC tranny fluid will look "burned" after abuse etc...The entire braking system is new, so I wonder how I've gotten that much rust. Oh well no worry - I now can bleed my brakes annually !

Dickson

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Total time from when they received them is estimated at 2.5 weeks. Cost was $122 including ~$20 shipping.

Not bad, but in truth they promised them back in a week. Dickson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts