Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m working on restoring our old family car 1965 Rangoon Red 2V coupe. I’m currently repairing the small amount of rust in the rear. After that I’m moving on to the brakes.

I’d like to upgrade to improve stopping as much as I can. It has front disks but the calipers are frozen. Since I’m going to redo everything anyway I’d like upgrade advice.

Rear: I’m going to relocate the lines as I’ll be adding dual exhaust. I’d like to upgrade to 2” drums. Where can I get the stuff I need to make this conversion. Also I’d like to put in upgraded shoes, any recommendations?

Front: I figured on buying stainless sleeved OEM calipers. I would then upgrade the pads to something better, any ideas? I was then wondering if I’m spending that much maybe I should look at a larger performance caliper/roter setup(Willwood/Baer) any ideas on how much more this will cost vs how much better it will stop.

Balance I’d like to be sure the system is in balance. So if I upgrade drums will my stock disks be too weak. Vice versa.

Thanks,

Don

·
Registered
20,871 Posts
One of the members has a really good site with brake tips, but I can't remember or find him right now, I have him booked marked at home, not at work. He lives in Fla. and has a Aussie six that he's putting in, maybe someone knows his site right now. He found out that rear brakes out of mid 80's stationwagons fit on the 8" axle and is a cheap upgrade. Also he said you could use the front drum brake backing plates on the rear with just drilling it for parking brake cables.

As far as the front, the stock set-up isn't too bad. It's a good design with 4 pistons. You can buy brand new, quality calipers from vendors to repair your system along with new rotors. As far as upgrading, yes you can go to Baer or others. I also saw another kit that used the larger 4 piston calipers and rotors of T-bird,Conti's ect., I checked my book marks, but didn't see it off hand. If I find it I'll send it to you or maybe someone can help with this too.

Tom
You can do anything you want to......ONCE!
aka "my 66 coupe"
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575517&a=11977890&p=44194856.jpg

Hale Boppe comet shot off my roof. See you can use 100 iso at night with no flash!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
If you can find an old early 60's Econoline van in a junkyard, (or recycling center) it'll have 2 1/2" rear brakes and usually a 4:11 or 3:89 ratio nine incher.

Required tools for operating a Vintage Mustang:
1. Duct Tape
2. J.B. Weld
3. B.F.H. (Big Fat Hammer)
4. VINTAGE MUSTANG FORUMS II
(Power is cheap, reliability costs money!)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts