Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have power brakes (all drum) on the 69 sportsroof. We have all new wheel cylinders and reman master. Just was wondering what to expect on braking power. Breaks work but can not slide the tires. Was this normal?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
was a cylinder leaking???

honestly, 4 wheel drums were NEVER the way to go......

I LOVE the power discs that came on most 69/70's

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not being able to lock the brakes is not normal, They should lock up.
Possible causes? Drums out of spec,wrong wheel cylinders or master, bad master, bad booster. You have to go over every part of the system to find what is wrong.
My 69 had power drums and had no problem locking the brakes

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
They deffinetly should lockup. Jack the car up again and reset all the adjustments so that you cannot turn the wheels, then relese them so you can turn them fairly easy but can still hear them rubbing a little. Apply the M brake and try turning the back wheels, if you can they are still to loose. Let the car down again and move it , apply the brakes and see if you can lock it up. If you can't then it is possible that the Booster has a leak or there is a leak somewheres in your lines. I replaced all hardware, lines, MS and my brakes were still not that good, after doing some more testing I found the Booster was faulty so replaced that. Now they work great.I was doing a resto so was replacing all lines and hardware anyway.
Don

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Also, make sure you properly adjust the automatic adjuster wheel. That's what I call it anyway /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts