Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed granada spindles and new brake kit a few years back. As part of switching from manual to power. Also replaced pedal for power. Never liked stopping power. They will not lock up not matter how hard i step on. Was playing with proportioning valve I put on. Basically controls the flow to back. closed completely maybe a slight better but still won’t stop well Or lock up. I have a hard pedal pretty sure no air in the lines. Kind of stuck on best way to troubleshoot other than replacing a part at a time. Tempted to replace to original drums spindles and go with a new setup. I’ve got a pretty hot motor. Actually installed a pre air tank and pump for vacuum no help so I dont think vacuum related. brakes are actually a little unsafe. Any advice appreciate.

·
Registered
606 Posts
It could be a bad booster or check valve I would check out Master power brakes troubleshooting guide. You need at least 18 inches of vacuum for a booster. Also the Booster could be to small.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Cheap pads can do that...most people who have been down that road say that the porterfield or EBC brand pads are what you need....opentracker can get them to you. I would try a pad swap before ditching the system. I'm running granada on 2 of my cars...no issues, and i have the cheapie pads....

Reactions: GT289

·
VMF Ambassador
6,914 Posts
It could also be that your master cylinder is the wrong bore size or is bad. Or the pushrod is the wrong length. Just adding a couple of things to the pile to check out.

Usually a bad booster manifests as a squishy pedal IIRC.

·
Registered
10,123 Posts
Cheap pads can do that...most people who have been down that road say that the porterfield or EBC brand pads are what you need....opentracker can get them to you. I would try a pad swap before ditching the system. I'm running granada on 2 of my cars...no issues, and i have the cheapie pads....
^ what he said. You wouldn’t believe the crap pad formulations that are at the chain auto part stores. The Cardboard from the box would literally be a better friction material than what you get on the pads inside.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

1 - 5 of 5 Posts