Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me why the brakes on my '67 pull hard to the right when I apply the brake? After the pedal gets a little way down, the left brake grabs hard and leaves me fighting the wheel to stay on the road. Sometimes I have no problem but I do more often than not. The car has man. brakes and steering. Could the proportioning valve be causing this and is it repairable? Thanks a lot.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've had the front drums off countless times. I've adjusted them, and I've tried leaving them loose to see if it made a difference. It didn't. I've replaced the pads and cylinders. Can the old rubber hoses be giving a problem? My old '68 gave me a lot of brake trouble too but it was fast and I was 16 so I never fixed anything that didn't keep me from going

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I sounds like the rubber hoses are bad since you have ajusted everything already. I have had the same problem in ALL of my old cars. The hoses deteriate over time and they can colapse and cause a blockage. Alot of times It will pull to the side that is grabbing and the side thats blocked will drag because the fluid can't flow back to retract the wheel cylinder. The hoses are about 20 bucks each for the front and the single rear hose is about 30 bucks. Replace all of them and Blow out the metal lines with air to clean out any crap. That should solve the problem.

I would replace the Master cylinder and wheel cylinders if they are questionable, These are cheap too. Good luck

[color:green]Adam</font color=green>

Click Here to see my Website
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1590185&a=12106882&p=43855504.jpg

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
One other thing could be your strut rod bushing are worn out. If they allow and play, they will let the wheel toe change under braking.

John L. Anschutz
Allen, TX
68 Diamond Blue Coupe - 302
68 Acapulco Blue Coupe - I6 - 200
http://www.dallas.net/~jjmsansc/parts/Stangs.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts