Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rolled my car out today to finally work on it after it being in hibernation for the past 3-4 months. As I am pushing it out onto the drive, I tell SWMBO to brake. The car continues to roll. So I say louder... BRAKE!!!. She says I AM! After it rolls into the street it finally stops. After we manage to push it back into the driveway I pop open the master cylinder and it is bone dry!.. How could that be? When I parked the car months ago it stopped fine. What to do? I have no brake knowledge. I know that I should just not add fluid should I? Help, please.

G

·
0 Posts
Personally, I'd add fluid and see where it came out...maybe you have a really slow leak? If you put an old sheet or something under the car, that might make it easier to find where the fluid is coming out.

~JP

·
Registered
876 Posts
You can't just add fluid.You should bleed the brakes after adding the fluid to get the air out of the lines.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats the deal. No spots on the floor from a leak. Confused.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would fill it, pump the brakes while a helper checks for leaks in the lines and cylinders. Also check the firewall where the master cylinder bolts on to see if that area is wet. It has to be going somewhere! Do you have power brakes? I'm no expert on a vaccum booster, and maybe somebody else on the forum with more knowledge about them could help with this, but could it be possible that if you do, the seal on the back of the master cylinder went, and your missing brake fluid is in the booster?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts