Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Ford Mustang Fastback 390 w/ Auto C6
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, just acquired my 67 fastback and will start to work on it over time. It's a drivable car but I was looking for some guidance on the transmission. I'm not "feeling" the shift from the C6 automatic transmission in the shifter. The car seems to engage properly (Park, Reverse, Drive) but I'm not feeling a "click" when shifting between them. Is that normal? What could be the issue if it's not normal?

Looking forward to being active in the forums and learning from you all.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Inside the shifter (up in the car) there is a steel bracket that a spring loaded lever rides on. It may be the detents are worn off, or worn down. It does upshift through the 3 gears while you are driving it, correct?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Inside the shifter (up in the car) there is a steel bracket that a spring loaded lever rides on. It may be the detents are worn off, or worn down. It does upshift through the 3 gears while you are driving it, correct?
The detents needed replacement. Thank you for the advice! Feels much better now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to VMF. Post some pictures of your car :)
I've been enjoying/driving her for the past few weeks to get a feel for her. I should be giving her a wash tomorrow and will post some pics in a new post. It'll be a long one as I'm going to be looking for some additional advice and guidance.

One thing I need to get used to is all the attention this car gets when she's on the road!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts