Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 270 magnum cam with matched springs. The springs have a damper inside.

Should I remove the damper when breaking in the cam?

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I wouldn't. Lube it up and break it in. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Comp Cams states without reservation to not install the dampner springs until after the break-in period is complete. Of course this applies to non-roller cams. Roller cams do not require a break-in.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
isn't the proper break in procedure to drive it to the beach then let it sit there in the sun all day, drive a few miles, let it cool off for a few hours outside a nice tavern then a night drive to home? If its not don't tell my wife, thats the standard break in for any new part.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Since there is some disagreement, could you specify....
Are these dual springs with a flat steel damper? Or, are they single springs with a flat steel damper? Or are they just dual springs with no flat steel damper?

Also, what is the open spring pressure?

IME, and this is limited to solid lifter flat tappet camshafts with under .550" lift, I've always broken the cam in with its ultimate spring package and have noticed no reduced life/failure in any engines done in this fashion. I do understand the wisdom of using a lower spring pressure for break-in but guess I've been lucky *G*

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is Shaun's cam, it's a 270H comp cam. The springs are
single spring with flat damper. We are gonna try it with both installed... Wish us luck!!!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Your application is fine to install the complete package and run it in ,,In cases where I have a triple spring set up I send my cam and lifter combos(whn I don't have them grind the cam for me) to cam research and they run them in on their cam dyno ,,It is a neat gadget to guarrantee cam lifter life with out the fear of contaminating an engine

1 - 10 of 10 Posts