Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For sake of a better name, I'm calling it the James Bond License Plate Retractor!!:: However, this little motor unit will hopefully make my crazy idea a reality. For those of you new to this post, I have that ugly R-model valance on my car and I want to be able to retract the license plate out of the way as it lookes really ugly sitting in that R-hole! This motor allows me to flip the hidden switch inside the car to rotate the license plate 90 degrees from the display position up to the retracted position.

The breakthrough was finding this motor/transmission assembly. It used to control the sparge valve on the big field sprayer I use at work. It rotated a ball valve and that controlled the liquid bypass from the pump and the amount of pressure and agitation in the sprayer tank. Well, it broke a couple years ago and we bought a new unit for...ummm something like $200 bucks. Specialty sprayer parts are real expensive!!!

I've been racking my brain for a disappearing license plate design and the electronics and mechanisms I envisaged were too complicated. I wanted to use a screw drive to slide the plate from left to right, but the bumper bracket is a big obstacle. Its right in the way.

Suddenly, I thought about this valve motor. The whole thing is simple and compact...and just as importantly, shock and waterproof. The function of rotating the plate upwards 90 degrees vastly simplifies the plate mechanism itself. Plus, the motor unit has built in limit switches which shut the motor off after 90 degrees of rotation. Perfect! All it took was to clean the faulty pressure contact on one of the limit switches (the reason we had to buy a new valve motor!), and wire up a DPDT switch. The unit now performs flawlessly! Its fun to flip the switch and hear the motor cranking the transmission output shaft over...really really slow. "bzzzzzzzzzzzzunct" Click the switch the other way "bzzzzzzzzzzzunct". It should rotate the plate in about 7 seconds, though I didn't time it.

I'll still have to engineer a little more on exactly how to mount it up. The hood latch may interfere with the mounting, but hopefully I can work around that. There are some simple things I can do to keep the wind from buffeting the plate when its up or down too, which simplifies the design of the plate holder.

Sorry for such a long post. I haven't been mustanging all week and now I'm thrilled to have something tangible to support the James Bond retracting plate theory....

http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL25/910966/3513099/64255141.jpg
http://pic3.picturetrail.com/VOL25/910966/3513099/64255139.jpg

·
Registered
630 Posts
that is one interesting thinga-ma-bob. Though I would like to see a video if the finished product.

·
Registered
14,601 Posts
Jebus, Dan...you REALLY need a hobby. Oh, wait...nevermind.
At least you've found the perfect solution for anonymity when running from the police...uhm, in reverse.
They'll just think you're one of the million other coupes with hand made ground effects running around West Central Wyoming. :: ;) ::

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,981 Posts
That just might do it. :D
Had that laying around the whole time did you?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I saw something like that on a s-10 that had air suspension. The rear plate hung down low so when they lowered the truck letting the air out, the plate would retract up under the truck first.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I like that! That is way cool!!!! ::
If the hood latch becomes a problem, consider taking it out and using hood pins to keep the hood on when cruising at high speeds down those unregulated Wyoming Highways.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Forbis, Dan Forbis .. dum ta dum dum dum ... lol .. very cool Dan, i'd like to see a video too, hope thats your next project, inquiring minds would like to see (hey that would make a cool and unique avatar, an animated gif of the plates moving up and down) ::

James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts