Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess old age is getting to my memory at times. In the proper routing of the breather hoses from the valve covers, where should the one on the drivers side (closed oil filler cap) tie into the system at? I have the PCV going to a non used vacuum point in the rear of the factory intake. Should the one in question go to the air cleaner with one of those filter packs on the cleaner or would it be ok to go to a vacuum port at the rear of the Holly 600 throttle plate? I am thinking the air cleaner.....

Second problem showing its head is a stumble on WOT from most all cruising speeds (not when parked). Stock '86 302, Holly 600 vac. 4bbl, elec. fuel pump, AOD (rebuilt). Tried timing from 8 to 14. Seems to like 11 the best (no pinging) but always stumbles. Fuel bowls set to specks and acc. pump set to shoot at the first throttle movement as recommended by Holly. This stumble is getting real boring. Suggestions?

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
You want the "non-PCV" side going to the air filter, not to a vacuum source. The PCV valve will pull air through from the other side. If you hooked it to vacuum, you'd have both sides pulling and would not circulate air through the crank case. The only reason for even running the other side to the air cleaner is to suck filtered air through.

Ideally, you want your PCV to hook to the base of the carb. Since it's basically a giant vacuum leak, if you put it in a runner, you could lean out that one (or 2) cylinders. It will work there "in a pinch", but running it to the base of the carb is ideal, so as to distribute the recirculated fumes to all cylinders as well as distribute the vacuum draw equally across all of them.

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for helping the memory start working. Wonder if that will maybe solve the stumble also...moving the PCV to the carb base.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts