Vintage Mustang Forums banner

801 - 820 of 877 Posts

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,518 Posts
I tend to want those in the summer more so when it’s hot. I’m more of a brown ale kind of guy but won’t turn down a stout or porter.

·
Premium Member
1968 coupe, 1968 vert, 1966 coupe
730 Posts
Looks good... lizard skins a PITA to spray even with the special gun I couldn’t get it right the mat is what I will use next time

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Nice work as usual. I used some brand a don’t remember
from NPD, lots of rolling and pressing into grooves, but not too bad.

Reactions: Caper50

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #805
Russ, did you do your own headliner? I wasn't happy with mine at all, but I'm not re-doing it either. When I get back to work I may opt for a 1 piece MTF headliner.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Russ, did you do your own headliner? I wasn't happy with mine at all, but I'm not re-doing it either. When I get back to work I may opt for a 1 piece MTF headliner.
Body guys did everything. I started on the body myself years ago. Entirely new front/rear suspension, midolyne stuff, 1" front bar, 4 leaf HD leafs, 2" lowering blocks, etc. Then I realized with work and building our house I was never going to finish. Not willing to give up the dream, I located a guy near me who specializes in Mopars. Out the way place in the sticks, rambling block building, nothing to look at until you walk in and see Hemi Cudas and Superbirds here and there. He agreed to do my body work and paint if I had plenty of time. Took a few years but they completely redid the body, welded in my subframe connectors, stripped it all down inside and out and put on a killer paint job. They did the new headliner. I only glued the sides and put the clips on. If I ever redo mine I might opt for a one piece, I'm 6'2" and I'm sure the extra headroom would be nice.

Sorry, long ramble for a quick answer.

Reactions: Grabber70Mach

·
Registered
937 Posts
I fought my headliner too. It looks marginal at best and I spent hours pulling and re trying and trimming and glueing and then the heat gun.

The rusty car as a result will get either no headliner or an MTF!

·
Premium Member
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #812
I did my own headliner in the GT. I doubt I could ever do a headliner in a 66 Mustang and be fully satisfied with it.

Allen
I hear ya brother. I did learn a few things on my first install though. If I were to do it again, I'd use spray adhesive. I installed the rear window bow first. The bows rotated into place effortlessly with exception of the last one at the front. I had to really strain to pull it over the front window pinch weld. If I let it go that bow would drop back down towards the floor. I used the top holes for a the bows. Bottom line, I just lost my patience with it. I looked at a friends 66 yesterday, the previous owner had a lady replace his. It is as tight and wrinkle fee as bass drum, I kid you not. She did an impeccable job. Unfortunately she lives about 6 hours away.

·
Registered
937 Posts
The noico looks good! Did you use one of the rollers or just by hand? I did the dynamat in the blue car by hand (occasionally rolled with a socket) and it was a pain! I might just try the noico now in the rusty car. Thanks for the tip!!

·
Premium Member
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #816
The noico looks good! Did you use one of the rollers or just by hand? I did the dynamat in the blue car by hand (occasionally rolled with a socket) and it was a pain! I might just try the noico now in the rusty car. Thanks for the tip!!
Mike, it has a nice bite. I was originally going to order a roller but forgot so I just gave it a hand job 😁. I used their waterproof stuff on the roof interior and I think I'll also use it inside the quarter panels and door. I used a full 36 sq ft on the floor and toe boards. I'll have to order a smaller batch before I do the door upholstery and rear panels.

·
Premium Member
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #817
Took my car out for another test ride today. Figured I just go down the street, then went up the street. Then went to visit my mom and step-dad. Then figured I'd run up to the main highway. Then decided to keep going. Man it felt good, talk about a blast. The car pulls great, to be honest I was a bit nervous about the rear end. But thanks to @GT350HR it ran great. No carpet in yet but the floor felt cool with the Noico insulation. I drove for roughly 30 miles and had to get back for supper. Only issue I noticed was a bit of a squeal that started as I accelerated but came out at roughly 40 mph. Now just thinking about it, I'm wondering if it was just the fan belt. The car handled great, no pulling to either side, brakes worked great, although have't done the panic stop yet or even messed with the proportioning valve. I'll get that on my next trip out. Here's a little video leaving my driveway.

·
Registered
370 Posts
How much were you able to do with the 36 sq ft Noico? I'm looking to order some as well.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
You just made super hero status.

Reactions: Caper50

·
Premium Member
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #820
How much were you able to do with the 36 sq ft Noico? I'm looking to order some as well.
I did the entire floor pan from just below the firewall insulation to the area below the rear seat. And had some strips left over to put on the wheel house sections inside the car and a few strips on the seat pans. Also did both interior sail panels. For the roof I used their waterproof thermal shield, it's a foam based material. I also plan on using it inside the trunk on quarter panels. See post #802 for pics.

801 - 820 of 877 Posts