Vintage Mustang Forums banner

821 - 840 of 877 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #821
Big Al, I couldn't image what your car is going to feel like with 400hp. It's going to be a little monster. I forgot how peppy these 289's were.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Took my car out for another test ride today. Figured I just go down the street, then went up the street. Then went to visit my mom and step-dad. Then figured I'd run up to the main highway. Then decided to keep going. Man it felt good, talk about a blast. The car pulls great, to be honest I was a bit nervous about the rear end. But thanks to @GT350HR it ran great. No carpet in yet but the floor felt cool with the Noico insulation. I drove for roughly 30 miles and had to get back for supper. Only issue I noticed was a bit of a squeal that started as I accelerated but came out at roughly 40 mph. Now just thinking about it, I'm wondering if it was just the fan belt. The car handled great, no pulling to either side, brakes worked great, although have't done the panic stop yet or even messed with the proportioning valve. I'll get that on my next trip out. Here's a little video leaving my driveway.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but from your video you seem to have a loud squeak/screech when you shifted gears. Hope you're able to isolate that issue ;)

Seriously it sounds great and couldn't be more happy for you!!

John

Reactions: Caper50

·
Premium Member
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #825
Yes! Going to be way different than the GT which I'm guessing is 250-275hp.

Any guess on your HP?

Allen
Too be honest, not a clue 😂. It's .030 over, stock 4V, Summit 500 carb, hipo manifolds and dual exhaust. My daughters boyfriend took it for a spin. When he came back he said, "I gotta get one of these things." 😂 He's a hotrodder and decent mechanic he feels it's not a stock cam. I can only guess it's stock.

·
Premium Member
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #826
Carpet laid in place. Fit seems excellent, it 80/20 mass backed. Thanks to @Lizer for mentioning RockAuto, you saved me about $150 at least Cdn. The only stubborn part was trying to fit the front edge under the heater assy. After struggling for a bit, it dawned on me to just loosen the 4 nuts on the firewall, bazinga! Gonna let it sit in the sun for a while before I trim the edges.

Cut a hole for the 4 speed speedo cable.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Looking really good and quite familiar ! !

John

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,518 Posts
Looks good Brian, I’m a fan of turn downs myself. Those tuck up nicely.

·
Premium Member
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #833
Russ I made some patches to close the holes in my GT valance and it was going good. Got the patches welded in but it warped quite a bit. I wish I had bought a tig welder for stuff like that. So I ordered another Dynacorn panel from a Canadian distributor and it fit like a dogs breakfast. The holes that were punched for the license plate were crooked and the ends were no where close to fitting so I sacrificed my old panel. I cut about 4 inches off my new panel on both ends and did the same with my GT panel. I welded the ends on and I'm good to go. No job is simple on these cars.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,518 Posts
Wow, when it rains it pours. Ended up nicely.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Brian, do you shoot the primer in your garage w/o plastic or a booth - just on the stands like in the pics?

Just asking to see if it was reasonable for me to do the same and avoid the dust (not sure I can get away with it in my socal neighborhood but may try for small panels). I have painted in garages in the past but usually has some kind of plastic hanging or shot primer in a much bigger space.

looking great btw.

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Brian, do you shoot the primer in your garage w/o plastic or a booth - just on the stands like in the pics?

Just asking to see if it was reasonable for me to do the same and avoid the dust (not sure I can get away with it in my socal neighborhood but may try for small panels). I have painted in garages in the past but usually has some kind of plastic hanging or shot primer in a much bigger space.

looking great btw.

Amazon and others have these available in various sizes, possibly serve your needs.

https://smile.amazon.com/Homeright-pintura-aerosol-Refugio-mediano/dp/B07DNXH8QL/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1DVXNRVDQJ2VO&dchild=1&keywords=paint+booth+tent&qid=1595564367&sprefix=Paint+boot,aps,221&sr=8-3

Rusty

·
Registered
356 Posts
821 - 840 of 877 Posts