Vintage Mustang Forums banner

841 - 860 of 877 Posts

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #841
Brian, do you shoot the primer in your garage w/o plastic or a booth - just on the stands like in the pics?

Just asking to see if it was reasonable for me to do the same and avoid the dust (not sure I can get away with it in my socal neighborhood but may try for small panels). I have painted in garages in the past but usually has some kind of plastic hanging or shot primer in a much bigger space.

looking great btw.
Yes, I have done all the primer and paint in my garage so far. Initially I started to lay a heavy sheet of poly on the floor and over anything I didn't want over spray on. I stopped covering the floor a long time ago. I have a decent sized exhaust fan too and only run it just long enough to clear the air. I built a rack to hang parts for painting.

·
Premium Member
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #847
Dug my bumpers out this evening. I'm guessing they are genuine Ford bumpers, they have the white and blue Ford stickers with part#'s on the back of each bumper. They are in decent shape for a driver, a bit of surface rust on the backside. Cleaned them up with a bit of fine steel wool, some rubbing compound and a coat of wax. I'll be doing the final prep work at my cousin's shop, he informed me they have a new alignment machine and a top notch mechanic on staff that runs it. He offered to have him check my car out, BONUS! It's looking like I'll be going with waterbase in BASF or Sikkens.

Brackets are ready for the blast cabinet tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #848
Bead blasted all the of my bumper brackets and shot a couple coats of SPI epoxy. You can't spray this stuff like paint or it will separate and look like huge fisheyes. I cut back on my material adjustment on my gun until I get the consistency of a semi to low gloss finish. Once you let that first coat to flash you can lay it on a little wetter but don't get carried away. I let it induce for a few hours, Barry says he will let his epoxy induce overnight. The real beauty of SPI is that you can mix enough to give you at least 3 to 4 days of material as long as it's well sealed. I have had to add a bit of urethane reducer after a few days as it starts to thicken up.

·
Premium Member
5,880 Posts
Discussion Starter #849
Have my window runs bead blasted and painted. New hardware coming from NPD. Got my door glass, vent and quarter windows cleaned up and ready to go in after paint. Stripped both rear interior panels. I'll paint them over the weekend. Got the nod to bring my car to my cousin's shop next weekend. He's got a new spray booth and alignment machine. So I'll be busy with the sanding block next week. I'll guide coat and block with 400 and 600.

Oh and I also screwed up. I hadn't noticed that there was something wrong with the stamping of my tail light panel. There was no wasn't a flange on the left hand side of the hole for the tail light. It killed me to burn the paint off the inside of the panel but I couldn't leave it with fixing it. No before pic as I was too pissed off 😂 Man I'll be glad when this is finally done.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,518 Posts
Like a man who has his priorities right...

Reactions: Caper50

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
You let her drive it didn't you?

John

841 - 860 of 877 Posts