Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you may know, I was looking @ a 66 'vert with rear torque box rot-out last w/e. Well, I offered 3,500 for it and the guy accepted. Saturday I'm going to tow it home with my GMC truck. I ordered the parts top repair the frame and they're on the way. I'm excited. Now I'll have 2 ponies in my stable(64.5 coupe-nearing completion to drive,66 convert.).Maybe in a couple of years, I'll get a 65 Fastback and round out the mix-if SWMBO says o.k.(L)
I have one question regarding towing-If I tow it with a hitch ball and tow bar(truck doesn't have a hitch for a trailer), does someone have to be in the car to steer? It's been about 12yrs. since I last towed a Mustang with this method(using a Plymouth Horizon as a tow vehicle)and I can't remember. Thanks,Bob

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Hi Bob,

Just an FYI, In Connecticut it's against the law to "bumper tow" and unregistered and uninsured car. All four tires must be off the ground, so legaly your only choice is a car trailer or flat bed.

Here's a a segment off the DMV website:

Towing Unregistered Vehicles

A vehicle being towed must have a valid registration plate if any of the wheels of the vehicle are touching the road. Unregistered vehicles may only be transported on a flatbed.

Here's a link http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=799&Q=245374

Just tryng to save you from getting a ticket like I almost got. I almost got one while bringing home my 68 convertible but the officer let me go since I was less than a mile from my house (and he liked Mustangs).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts