Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Can someone tell me what this is that I broke and if I need to hook it up for my conversion? It looks like the wires for it and the VSS come together in a single small loom and connect inside the car to a much larger loom.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I don't connect the VSS it will only throw a code, right?

Thanks

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
Not familiar with that tranny but you'd think there would only be reverse lights, Neutral safety switch (And I don't even understand how that works on my T5.. So if someone cares to enlighten me.....) and VSS.

The VSS also adjusts idle and what not when decelerating with an auto I believe, as to not stall.. Or osmething like that.. :D

·
Registered
116 Posts
That should be the neutral safety switch. Good idea to have that hooked up so the car can't inadvertently be started in gear. I believe that it also functions as the reverse light switch on that application as well.

cheers
Ed N.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
That IS the NSS/Reverse light sending unit. If it's broken, replace it.

·
Registered
12,311 Posts
So how does the NSS work in these modern trannies? I tried continuity on my T5 and couldn't find it doing anything? Also I can't seem to find a diagram for it to figure out HOW it works.. I just assumed the neutral safety switch was an actual switch on the clutch pedal liek I'm used to? And fox bodies have that actual switch I think?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the info so far :thumbsup:

Now my question is did I really break it? The four pins are still there it looks like I snapped a plastic alignment tab, but the spring underneath has me concerned since I don't know its function.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,713 Posts
It's quite broken. But it is simply a dual purpose switch. First function is neutral safety. Hooked up correctly it won't let you sart the car while it is in gear, only in Park or Neutral.
Second function is to make a connection to turn on your backup lights when you put the shifter in Reverse.
This switch affects the functionality of the transmission not at all. You can drive without it hooked up but be aware you won't have backup lights or the starting safety function.
You can simply unscrew it and screw in a replacement. It's basically a captured spring loaded ball on the other end.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
GypsyR said:
You can drive without it hooked up
Since my 1970 has the neutral/backup light switch in the shifter base, I've never had any wires connected to that switch. The 64.5 install will be another story. John

1 - 11 of 11 Posts