Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, pulled the crossmember on my 66. Bolts snapped right off. touched the nuts that were inside of the frame , and they popped right out and fell into the frame.

I cam think of a few ways to fix this.

Is it common, is there a simple common repair just so I am not reinventing the wheel?

·
7,166 Posts
The only way to fix it right is to get new frame nuts, drive them into the holes in your frame, and weld them into place. I broke one of mine off as you describe and that's what I had to do.
The bolts are special, and are sold by most of the parts places (NPD calls them 5026-1AK $10. I'm not sure if those come with nuts or if you have to find them seperately.

You can grind everything clean, put a stud through the nut to hold it with, then MIG it in and grind it flat.

Phil

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Phil, thats what my thinking was. I just wanted to see if there was a common way to do it. My fab guy thinks we can find a riv-nut that size. I thought just finding a big nut that just fits inside the hole. Weld it to a plate. and then weld the plate flush with the nut up inside the hole. Also, pretty much the same exact thing, but with a bolt. Then it would have a stud comeing out and I would never have to deal with this again.

·
7,166 Posts
You'd need to machine the bottom of your nuts to resemble the contact surfaces on the original special bolts. They aren't flat. They are beveled to positively locate the crossmember.

Phil

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, since I am not worried about it looking "correct" , I would be better off with bigger bolts, rather then trying to machine nuts. Just to make sure its located properly.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
I am sorry LMAO! I thought I was the only that had a bad day! Thanks
Now is time creative..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts